Pot Head Detectorist

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you are saying but one cannot overlook the fact that probably 3 out of 10 people have reactions that are different than the norm. To not realize or ignore these facts to be true, then a person is likely burnt out. Some folks get a high, some get a buzz and get the munchies, some just get at ease and laid back, some fall asleep, some get paranoid and with some, they want to try something stronger. It is the latter that truly bothers me as I lost a great friend and comrade and some other friends went on to being Heroin, Cocaine or Crack Addicts.

Now that Marijuana is legal in some States and other States will likely follow, what happens then when folks start ranting about legalizing Heroin, Cocaine, Crack, LSD or some other illegal drugs. Yes, legalizing Marijuana takes the control of it away from the Drug Dealers but they only move on to dealing stronger drugs or gun smuggling, if they haven't already done so.

Frank

IF and when Marijuana is not a "targeted" drug...
The resources can focus on other drugs and crimes that are in need of real attention.

The money and manpower can only be spent once.
And in case no one has noticed...
So far... as we all can see...
Both have so far been just pissed away in the wind.

For nothing has changed... ever.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I think what bothers me the most, is this is supposed to be a family friendly site. I could care less what you people put in your bodies. You all are saying that "there's nothing wrong with a little weed" compared to alcohol it's nothing. You're probably right....a bullet in the head is much less painful than hanging I suppose. I hope the young people that come here don't have their fears about pot smoking removed because of some of the comments here.
I have my own data also. Who's data are we to believe?? I'm surely not going to believe yours.
]http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana
http://1ec3qk2gowcy3luxr31yisiwjdm....ets-Not-Kid-Ourselves-About-Marijuana-WSJ.pdf

Well thank you for shedding some light on your concerns so that we all can remain open minded here and respect or at least start to respect where everyone is coming from.

But I will say that this thread started out as nothing more than a story. A day that began with relief for getting back my MD's but I lacked confidence that my machines where in working shape, and then came along this pot head who really brightened up my day.

So I shared the story, shortly there after I started seeing some post on here that just made sense. Now I do not smoke at all and I am a LEO with a very large agency, but I do not work narco and never will. The sort of cases I work we never see drugs and my Team is not informed in the least bit at all about drugs.

But one thing is very clear in my life, I use intel for everything and normally the easiest and most sound explanation is the one that is the truth. Some of the things on here I wanted to reference but due to my career choice I know that the intel can only be as good as its source.

Thats when it clicked, I own a Physicians Desk Reference for Herbal Medicine. Well you can not get more sound intel on this matter than a book that is used at accredited higher learning institutions and sits on many doctors shelves. My family and I normally use the book for dietary needs and healing. Found nothing at all bad about pot.

Then I figured I would go on and check VICAP; the FBI data base for violent crimes. My first check was to see what the stats are for those arrested who committed a crime while on Pot. It was less than 1%

Now my next check was to see how many crimes where committed with pot on the scene, it was 39%. That pot was the main factor in the crimes. So that got me thinking would our Stats lower by 39% in violent crimes if pot was legal all around to use, smoke and sell. Was that 39% a biproduct of our government.

Now this is a family website for sure, heck my 13 year old son just got an account on here. However this thread is not pressuring anyone to use drugs at all, it has provided some very good information in subject and referenced many sources on the good and bad about pot, but also it has shown through our fellow members that some can not handle it, they recognized it and eventually found help, but also that many can use it and do perfectly well in our society.

If anything I would say that thread would be a good baseline starting point for anyone with an open mind to find real facts and live cases on both sides.

Another point I would like to bring up is a little prison my Team and I often deliver people to called the Black Dolphin. Each and every prisoner in there has legalized access to pot and can use it at will in amounts they wish to use it in. Smoking only though. This has only been going on for a year or so now, but in that time there has not been a single altercation at all that involves prisoners. This prison holds the baddest cats around with outside resources that shame some military's. In my time with the agency I have only been stabbed there 4 times my self, but have been stuck in many lock down riots and have had 27 attempts on my cargo.

Could you imagine how the US Prison system would be if we allowed inmates to smoke pot. I feel strongly that many prison crimes would fall off the charts but also that it would turn out more productive members of society when they get out.

Now I am not saying it makes the world a better place, but I sure would not mind if just half the people I have had to go after started using pot; perhaps they would not be so combative towards being arrested.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow OJ, great post! However, I have my reservations about handing out pot to inmates here in the states. Most of the prisons here are already too lax - meaning that prisoners have too many "rights" as it is. There's FAR too many repeat offenders - in many cases due to them actually having a better life, better food, healthcare, security, TV, exercise equipment, etc, than what they would ever have access to on the outside. I'm afraid if pot were added as another perk, that the jail systems would REALLY be overrun with hopefuls!

I'm a strong proponent that if convicted of a crime, that there should be shorter sentences, but that they should ALL be 100% senseless - meaning, fully nutritious food, but zero taste, ONLY water to drink, no TV, no talking with guards or other people (solitary with padded cells), not even any way to know if it's night or day. Not even being allowed to see or hear your attorney - communications only via a keyboard and old-style green DOS monitor. No mail or books or magazines. Complete and absolute sensory deprivation. Years-long sentences could change to weeks-long. People wouldn't want to go back and would hopefully try harder to stay out. Now this also means they would fight harder to keep from getting caught, becoming excessively desperate. So......?

The other line of thinking is a points-system. They start off with absolutely nothing every time, then have to earn the "right" to each individual "perk", including mail. And I still like the no-first-hand-contact-with-their-lawyer thing. Jail should NOT be home, but that's what it becomes for many of the inmates. ...Maybe have at the high-end of the earnings list granted pot? Hmm...maybe not such a bad idea. However, think I'd want to start with smaller amounts and let them "earn" more. And as with bodybuilding, for example, you have to keep bodybuilding in order to keep the effects working. Same here. They'd have to work in order to keep earned "perks".

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
kcm I disagree with your idea of crime prevention by making jail a place to go nuts.
Besides there are a substantial number that are in jail either because they couldn't
afford a decent lawyer. Just look how many have been freed by DNA evidence in recent
years. Just hope your not wrongly accused and end up in your jail.
It's been said a nation can be judged by how they treat their prisoners.

But on topic, since Colorado's legalization of pot the sky didn't fall. A couple
weeks ago in the paper a study in Colorado stated there has been no increase
in teen use of pot since the law passed. That was something many were watching.
I would cite the study but I didn't think I'd be referencing it.
The one part of the law that they got wrong was they need to beat the street.
By that I mean the price needs to be competitive.
It isn't. The price in the stores is a lot higher than a connected person can buy
it from an illegal source.
For example the legal stores sell 1/4 oz for $117 after tax where a street price
can be $150 for a full oz. (no tax heh heh)
Street prices can be higher for an unknown connection but still most likely less
than the legal stores.
One illegal dealer stated on camera the law hasn't hurt business a bit.
Said he still makes $20000 a month.

The fact that it looks like legal pot hasn't had an affect on teens is interesting
contrast from what I saw about 15 years ago. In the US there was/is an police
program called DARE. It's intent was to teach kids drug awareness.
One day the police brought their program to a middle school and set up their
display of paraphernalia. The kids were fascinated to the point there was no
room to even see the display. Eight feet deep with kids. All whispering to each
other about what this does and how to use this or that. The kids couldn't get
enough. I think the program had an opposite effect than what was intended.
I don't know this as fact, just a hunch.
Interesting contrast to the Colorado study. Point being as long as something
is illegal, certain people will flock to it.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waste good weed on bad prison inmates? No, no, no. If they don't want to take High School or College classes, or learn a trade, keep them in their cells 23-hours a day. NO TV, radio, or video games. Hell, give the pot to the guards, they need it a lot more than the inmates!

As for the folks up in arms over this being a "family" site, COME ON! I am a lot more worried about the 50-somethings that still can't spell or use proper grammar than I am about a conversation about weed.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tax revenue was 70 million in the last fiscal year in Colorado, more then they expected. Here (Oregon) the legal weed is on par with if not cheaper then the street price..

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
HV, have never been anywhere near going to jail. Never even had a parking ticket. So in my mind, I could much better handle a few weeks vs. years.

"Interesting contrast to the Colorado study. Point being as long as something
is illegal, certain people will flock to it.
"

So true, so true. Lots of things in this world I'll never understand, and that's one of them. Actually, much in this entire line of thinking I'll never understand.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waste good weed on bad prison inmates? No, no, no. If they don't want to take High School or College classes, or learn a trade, keep them in their cells 23-hours a day. NO TV, radio, or video games. Hell, give the pot to the guards, they need it a lot more than the inmates!

As for the folks up in arms over this being a "family" site, COME ON! I am a lot more worried about the 50-somethings that still can't spell or use proper grammar than I am about a conversation about weed.

Iv knot scene alot of speling erors orr gramer erers hear....

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well thank you for shedding some light on your concerns so that we all can remain open minded here and respect or at least start to respect where everyone is coming from.
Now my next check was to see how many crimes where committed with pot on the scene, it was 39%. That pot was the main factor in the crimes. So that got me thinking would our Stats lower by 39% in violent crimes if pot was legal all around to use, smoke and sell. Was that 39% a biproduct of our government.

Some good points, based on data in this video.

https://www.facebook.com/endthedrugwarprotest/videos/2077331472492319/

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow OJ, great post! However, I have my reservations about handing out pot to inmates here in the states. Most of the prisons here are already too lax - meaning that prisoners have too many "rights" as it is. There's FAR too many repeat offenders - in many cases due to them actually having a better life, better food, healthcare, security, TV, exercise equipment, etc, than what they would ever have access to on the outside. I'm afraid if pot were added as another perk, that the jail systems would REALLY be overrun with hopefuls!

I'm a strong proponent that if convicted of a crime, that there should be shorter sentences, but that they should ALL be 100% senseless - meaning, fully nutritious food, but zero taste, ONLY water to drink, no TV, no talking with guards or other people (solitary with padded cells), not even any way to know if it's night or day. Not even being allowed to see or hear your attorney - communications only via a keyboard and old-style green DOS monitor. No mail or books or magazines. Complete and absolute sensory deprivation. Years-long sentences could change to weeks-long. People wouldn't want to go back and would hopefully try harder to stay out. Now this also means they would fight harder to keep from getting caught, becoming excessively desperate. So......?

The other line of thinking is a points-system. They start off with absolutely nothing every time, then have to earn the "right" to each individual "perk", including mail. And I still like the no-first-hand-contact-with-their-lawyer thing. Jail should NOT be home, but that's what it becomes for many of the inmates. ...Maybe have at the high-end of the earnings list granted pot? Hmm...maybe not such a bad idea. However, think I'd want to start with smaller amounts and let them "earn" more. And as with bodybuilding, for example, you have to keep bodybuilding in order to keep the effects working. Same here. They'd have to work in order to keep earned "perks".

You make some very good points and I believe that there definitely needs to be major changes in the Prison/Penal System. The problem with Prisons in the U.S. is that they have evolved not unlike the U.S. Army when they transitioned from the Brown Boot Army to the Army of the 1970's in which most soldiers were babied, had to be mothered and were often accommodated with most of want they wanted. With all the perks and privileges given to many of the inmates in most of the prisons, why would anyone incarcerated ever want to get out and become a contributing member of society??!!

Frank

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's easy to stop the violent hash smokers in prison to quit rioting. Just give them the keys to the kitchen!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I am against giving prisoners any comfort. No tv, no radio, no gym. They can get their exercise making little rocks out of big rocks....

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring back the Chain Gangs and bread and water.
Marvin

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it all to excess, for too long. And it nearly took me under. I hang with the friends of Bill W. today, have been for 18 years now.:coffee2: Funny story though, lol.

Been "Friends" with Bill W. myself for almost 30 years now. Lost everything I owned and my first marriage due to the bottle. Congrats on the 18

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
Personally I am against giving prisoners any comfort. No tv, no radio, no gym. They can get their exercise making little rocks out of big rocks....

Depends on the crime in my opinion.

I agree with TH, but believe the "length of incarceration" should be what changes according to the "severity of the crime".

My apologies to Oddjob for having taken his thread so far from its origins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions