There will always be stoners and slackers. Those are not what we need to measure a beneficial drug against.
Think of any topic - anything at all - then replace pot with that topic. Metal detecting? Look at all the places that have been closed to MDers. Dredging? Hiking? These are probably the most common on this forum, but far from the full list. The same type of people cause the same problem(s) for drinking, driving, internet, voting, going to school, getting a job, raising a child, etc, etc, etc. Seems everything in this world is being slammed shut due to the "stoners and slackers"; otherwise known as the "abusers". In most parts of the country, you can't even pay for gas AFTER pumping - not even if it's -40°F out!! Why? Yep, you guessed it.
I'm not a "in your face" pot smoker and don't spend any energy on convincing you it's good.
I'm all for freedom - freedom of choice, freedom of speech, of movement, ....well, I'll cut the list short - don't wanna cross any lines here. I, for one, am totally against illegal drugs. It is in my mind that pot is an illegal drug, as that's how I was raised. However, I have NEVER condemned anyone for using!! NEVER!! Drugs played a very large, powerful, and VERY negative role in my life - concerning my former sister. She was/is an abuser. It's the abuse - the lack of self-regulation or self-control - that I cannot accept. It's the inevitable way she had of bringing the rest of the family into HER problems, whether we wanted to or not. She would deal for the money. She put her drugs above other people (and the law, whether good or stupid). She cared only about herself and her "next high". THAT'S the kind of people that make things bad for others.
I have permanent physical injuries. Live in chronic pain. Sometimes can go for a couple months with relatively little pain, but can just as easily go 3-4 months with extreme pain. Now with another old injury flaring up, that 2-3 months of lesser pain has turned into a sometimes of 2-3 days!! However, I am STAUNCHLY AGAINST the use of drugs!! ....Oh, did I say whether legal or illegal?? Nope, I did not. Before my neck injury, I never even took an aspirin in my life. Went into the doctor office a few years back and my doc, the kindly, mild-mannered, Hippocratical man that he is, actually URGED me to try morphine. He wanted one of us to try - didn't care which. ....Whoa...wait, what?? Didn't care which?? Yep, didn't care whether it was me or my wife (also disabled) - he wanted ONE of us to try morphine!! My wife flat-out refused. She had seen the effects up close first-hand. I reluctantly agreed, but ONLY because the "abusers" out there had made it more and more difficult for people like us to get pain relief. So our doctor wanted me to try morphine instead of the hydrocodone he had me on. I became very angry!! My wife was scared most of the time, unsure when I would blow my top next! Wife took me back in after a week - had to see the on-call doctor. I listed off my medications to the nurse, but there was one antibiotic that wasn't on her list. I told her the doctor had prescribed it, but she insisted I was wrong; then all but accused me of lying! My wife pulled out the empty meds bottle from the pharmacy with my name right there on it. She didn't know what to say. But "I" on the other hand nearly took that dang clinic apart brick by brick!!
Fast-forward a few years - we get into an auto accident, courtesy of a small, red car that cut us off, and we got stranded out of state more than 1,000 miles from home. Thanks to so many people abusing drugs, the state of Arkansas requires people to be seen for pain at specialized Pain Clinics. It takes about 2-3 months to get in. Here we are, out of state and in even more pain due to the accident, and we had no transportation to get home. Our meds, being controlled substances, couldn't be mailed across state lines - at least that's what we were told. Finally found a doctor to accept us, but he wouldn't give us the meds we were used to. We both had to come down off of the hydrocodone just after the accident, stuck in a hotel room, more than 1,000 miles from home. I flat-out refused to go back o it. Still refusing, but have no real quality of life with the lesser meds. Wife had no choice but to get back on the stuff that doctors so readily "pushed" on her.
So, am I against marijuana? No. I've come to understand that what I'm against (and this goes for everything!) is the ABUSE and MIS-USE of marijuana!! I don't use pot cause I don't like what it does to me (like with the morphine). I'm allergic to most of the prescription meds out there, so my choices are limited. Who knows, I might have to cave in even more some day and resort to pot for pain management, but for now it's still too badly ingrained in my head thanks to my wonderful Big Sis.
I apologize for the overly long post, but more-so for it not being my usual "upbeat" and cheerful or comical post. I'm sorry. But as this has turned into the "debate" that it has, and since I ride both sides of the fence, thought it would be good for the average person to hopefully understand. This post, with everything I have discussed, "could" take this thread into any number of directions. But I hope it remains on track. It is helping me to overcome my unyielding resistance to the acceptance of pot for medical reasons - be it pain, or just unwinding after a difficult day.