What's new

Potential Meteorite?

beau7johnson

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
61
Reaction score
84
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
Detector(s) used
eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grey, brown, and iron colored red bubbles and veins and crosshatching. It has lots of thumbprints and pores. It has what appears to be a drip or melting run of some metal ore. It is magnetic and relatively porous and hollow.
 

Attachments

  • 21222611_10154953205182083_949250678_o.webp
    21222611_10154953205182083_949250678_o.webp
    76.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 21931777_10154953208162083_448687997_o.webp
    21931777_10154953208162083_448687997_o.webp
    53.4 KB · Views: 179
Welcome to the forum! That is NOT a meteorite - Sorry. :occasion14:
 
Do you by chance have a relative idea of what it might be?
 
Slag from a metal works, not sure.
 
Looks like kimberlite to me. First kimberlite I found, I thought it was a meteorite.

If it is from a flume of kimberlite there might be precious stones nearby. Like diamond.
 
Last edited:
It really doesn't look like any Kimberlite that I have ever seen. It also doesn't look like most Lamproite specimens either.


Frank
 
Maybe it ain't kimberlite, but it looks like it to me, that along with being porous and magnetic. The rock in question also appears darker on the outside and lighter where it was broken, as flume formations would.

I'm not a geologist though.

Kimberlite from different places vary considerably from one location to another. The stuff i have found around here looks kind of like asphalt with iron leaching out. Here is a gallery of kimberlite photos-

Kimberlite
 
what do you mean by " thumb prints" ?
Brady
 
Real meteorites do you have value. Potential meteorites have very little if any. You need to first find out for sure what it is you really have by someone who can tell you in person. I don't have a clue what it is by just a picture.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom