Potential Old House Site Revisit

Jun 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I revisited the potential old house site at a farm in MA. The current farm house is believed to date to the early 1800s, but the finds in the field are older. There is a ton of iron signals in the ground. In my previous visit, the highlight was a coin that appears to be a King George II Half Penny. This next visit included a definite King George II Farthing (first and second photographs), possibly an early head, and a French Sol dated 1775 (third and fourth photographs). The last photo contains a number of other finds from the same area. The bottom row from left to right is what I believe to be an ox knob (has a small hole in the side - any date ideas?), a musket ball (0.61 inch diameter -- not sure of when this would be used), and an old square nail (one of many). The next row above, left to right is a brass button (with some kind of central arrow design), a silver-colored possible button (not silver), which seems to be more modern, third a possible pewter button (crumbly), and some kind of brass/copper tiny wedge thing. The third row up, from left to right, has what seems to be the end of a utensil handle, no idea what the second thing is, possible a piece of button third, and a lead weight of some kind with holes on either end. The top row is a 1937 Mercury dime, a copper/brass item, part of a buckle (knee or shoe?), a piece of lead (cannot see a design), and a thimble. I do have more finds, but will post them later. I may also post some of these to the What is it? forum for ID.

I look forward to going back.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

IMG_6568.jpg IMG_6565.jpg IMG_6560.jpg IMG_6564.jpg IMG_7153.jpg

Upvote 12

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top of a spoon handle is your earliest find - late 17th C - early 18th C.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not uncommon to find an earlier house site on property where there is a standing farm house. There was a progression of homes on older eastern farms. The original log cabin housed the original settler and his family until they either sold the property or became more affluent and could afford a bigger, nicer place. Some places are on their third farm house.

You're on a good spot, keep looking!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Can't wait to see what else you dig up!!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, those are some real old finds. Shoe buckle piece at the top (not knee). Looks like a very promising site!

OP
OP
M
Jun 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone for the feedback and congratulations. I will continue to share what I have found. I hope to get back to the site soon.

Happy hunting.

Josh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread