pots

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:sign10: sorry!! pot is short for potentiometer.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 492
OP
OP
hawk-run

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
Thank you that looks like something that a detector without a screen would have or has switches & knobs.......

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hawk-run said:
Thank you that looks like something that a detector without a screen would have or has switches & knobs.......

A potentiometer is a variable resistor.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope this helps, the older analog detectors have these, but I think newer ones have them also.

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 571

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
Yea the GT and other Sovereigns models have internal pots.Most Sovereign user's will adjust the internal tone pot to suit their hearing.Good Luck

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
then does that mean that if a detector does not have a screen it has no pots .......
no! a detector with no display could have internal pots, pots inside the unit that are not meant to be messed with by the user. and external pots which are are adjusted by the user such as, volume, sensitivity, discrimination etc:

and if it does have a screen it has pots?? .......
if it has a display it could still have internal pots and external pots.

pots are used to fine-tune, calibrate, adjust, increase/decrease. some you should not mess with unless you have calibration equipment.
hope this helped.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
By the way if you ever have a bad pot the one with the external knob.Remove from the detector a couple squirts with WD40 and you are back in business.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
tone pot for the GT

Attachments

• gt_tone_mod.jpg
    gt_tone_mod.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 378

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ronfrommichigan said:
By the way if you ever have a bad pot the one with the external knob.Remove from the detector a couple squirts with WD40 and you are back in business.

Ron, no arm wrestling match here, don't get me wrong. But, WD40 is the very last thing you want to squirt your pot with. A really high quality electrical parts cleaner spray is the only way to clean your pot. WD40 is the best way to fubar it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what i have read & heard about WD40 that after it has been on for a time it gets gummy or stickey...... Or something like that...... So i am carefull on what i use it on..............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
That's what i have read & heard about WD40 that after it has been on for a time it gets gummy or stickey...... Or something like that...... So i am carefull on what i use it on..............

Keppy is correct, WD40 will get gummy and stickey after awhile........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Keppy said:

Keppy is correct, WD40 will get gummy and stickey after awhile........
You see...... Treasure and gleaner .... also know about WD40.........It can mess things up if you use it on the wrong things............. And fix things up if you use it on the right things ...I would not use it on pots............

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
All problems can fixed with good knowledge. Duct tape and WD40 have their place.
Oh i like duck tape..

Attachments

• duck-tape.jpg
    duck-tape.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 522

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
hawk-run said:
seeker41 said:
Well thank you but what is a potentiometer.....
A pot or potentiometer is a knob controlled variable switch that controls the amount of current (amperage) that can pass that pot. It is used for control of things like volume and is old school electronics but is still a viable technology. New machines like the Excalibur use pots quite effectively.

A pot has a contact that moves over another contact point and gives variable resistance to the circuit.

Here is a link to an explanation as to what is a pot.......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
steve from ohio said:
hawk-run said:
seeker41 said:
Well thank you but what is a potentiometer.....
A pot or potentiometer is a knob controlled variable switch that controls the amount of current (amperage) that can pass that pot. It is used for control of things like volume and is old school electronics but is still a viable technology. New machines like the Excalibur use pots quite effectively.

A pot has a contact that moves over another contact point and gives variable resistance to the circuit.

Here is a link to an explanation as to what is a pot.......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
The Excalibur like the Sovereign have been around since 1992 with very little changes...... What i mean they are not really new ..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread