Pottery and an unusual question.

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As most of you guys know, I dont find the same arrowheads and cool stuff that ya'll do, but I do find oodles of pottery. And yes, Oodles is a technical term. At any rate I said to my self, "well golly, Mr.Waffles...cuz you know I speak in the 3rd person ... this pottery hasnt been used for 800yrs or so (give or take a few decades). Wouldn't it be swell if it could have a use once again?"

So here's my question. Would it be wrong to cut the large pottery shard and re-purpose it as a worry stone or a pendant or something? It doesn't frame well, and it doesn't do me any good sitting and collecting dust, so why not give it a function once more? I think the idea of taking something ancient and transforming it into something useful again is kind of a neat way to show respect for the artifact, but do u agree? If so maybe u have a better suggestion than a worry stone. I thought worry stone because the smooth natural bowl shape of the shard would make it easy to make.
Thanks for reading and let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• 1489298207182.jpg
    1489298207182.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 82
  • 1489298219471.jpg
    1489298219471.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 1489298232552.jpg
    1489298232552.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1489298247473.jpg
    1489298247473.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say go for it...I like the idea...it's basically a piece of scrap. (of which the are manyO But you found it, so that makes it worthy of re-purpose for you. Just my opinion....

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're yours do what you want. Piece em together and make a table top or something

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find so much, and yet hold no hope of ever reconstructing any of the vessels from the many pieces you've found, then I don't see a problem repurposing them. The Indians sure as heck reused items, and I believe they would be as proud of you getting some use out of a broken item of theirs as they would your displaying of the finer, intact examples of their work. Be sure to share with us some of your work when you get finished.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I have a friend that buys clay pots and glues pieces of pottery on them and then uses ground up turquoise for grout.

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you find so much, and yet hold no hope of ever reconstructing any of the vessels from the many pieces you've found, then I don't see a problem repurposing them. The Indians sure as heck reused items, and I believe they would be as proud of you getting some use out of a broken item of theirs as they would your displaying of the finer, intact examples of their work. Be sure to share with us some of your work when you get finished.

I certainly will...assuming that what I make actually turns out cool. Lol!

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awwww piffle. I thought i had a genuinely original idea but it seems that others have beaten me to the punch. I did a quick Google search for pottery shard jewelery and found a lot of cool stuff. I like the idea of keeping the pendant as a natural shard, but the examples I saw also used shards with very interesting designs. All my stuff is just red. I'll just have to get pretty creative I guess. :P

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a friend that buys clay pots and glues pieces of pottery on them and then uses ground up turquoise for grout.

Intresting. That gives me an idea, an awfully interesting idea...muwaha ha ha! Please stay tuned...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread