Need help identifying and dating Virginia artifacts

Creekhound

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2017
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a bunch of artifacts that I've found in Virginia that I need some help identifying and dating. I'm fairly new to artifact hunting and am in need of someone's expertise. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info or examples of most of the stuff that I've been finding. I have found slate and Quartz/quartzite tomahawk heads, hammers, knives, scrapers, spear points, handles, and some arrowheads. A few pieces are made of a couple other types of rocks as well. One piece is a green and black Jasper I believe. Most of the pieces were found surface hunting around a creek that's right next to the river. I would appreciate anyone that could help me figure out exactly what I've got and how old or from what period it is from. I'm guessing a few of my pieces are a little rare since I can't seem to find any examples like them anywhere (or I'm just not looking in the right place lol). Thanks!👍

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    738.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    700.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Bandit, but by all means, don't be discouraged and keep on looking. You'll find something good eventually, and then everything will start to click in regards to the characteristics of the worked items you're looking for.

OP
OP
C

Creekhound

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2017
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just about all of them have tool marks and wear marks where they were tied down onto something. It's hard to see in the pics but is clear in person. A few of them probably are natural I'm sure. I'll take some more pics close up of them and post.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry creekhound, but nothing in those pictures has ever been altered by man. They are all natural stones. You need to concentrate on the correct materials in your area. Most Points from your area will be either Quartz, Flint, Chert, Rhyolite, etc.

These are Virginia artifacts. You need to turn your attention to looking for pieces like this. You are just picking of rocks that looks like Arrowheads, not actual Arrowheads.

Hope this helps you out and happy hunting.

Attachments

• Virginia (17).jpg
    Virginia (17).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Virginia (1).jpg
    Virginia (1).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Virginia (26).jpg
    Virginia (26).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 92

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news I see 1 point in the last pic

OP
OP
C

Creekhound

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2017
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 2 iron pyrite piece have some dark glue-like substance on the ends, The piece on the top right is a core, the bottom right and the 2nd one on the bottom row are scrapers, and the one left of the points has been halfted to fit into a handle. Someone told me the point was dalton point but I'm not sure.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 iron pyrite piece have some dark glue-like substance on the ends, The piece on the top right is a core, the bottom right and the 2nd one on the bottom row are scrapers, and the one left of the points has been halfted to fit into a handle. Someone told me the point was dalton point but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, whoever you are getting your info from is incorrect. The point is not a Dalton and the other pieces are just natural stones.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have to agree...you just have a bunch of small flat odd shaped rocks. When you find the real thing it will scream at you.

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I did the same thing when I first started. I posted "just rocks", but I listened to these fine people and I kept hunting. Now I have a fine collection of REAL artifacts. Don't get discouraged.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 rocks in the last Pic look like grinding stones but the rest in that set al natural

I agree with this. The one setting on top of the other stone is a nice Hammer Stone. The other looks to be a Mano. The rest are all natural though. Thanks for the extra pics on the black stone, but I don't see any evidence of being altered by man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread