What's new

Powerful statement

b3y0nd3r

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
995
Reaction score
1,173
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
"I been to a lot of funerals, folded the flags, givin' them to mothers, wives, sons, and told them how sorry I was. But that's not what I was really feeling. In the back of my mind, I was always thinking, better them than me. But I don't believe that now. And now I know that there are some things worse than death. And one of them is sitting here waiting to die."

Makes you wonder if other people think the same things you do, that you would never admit to anyone.
 
Last edited:
"I been to a lot of funerals, folded the flags, givin' them to mothers, wives, sons, and told them how sorry I was. But that's not what I was really feeling. In the back of my mind, I was always thinking, better them than me. But I don't believe that now. And now I know that there are some things worse than death. And one of them is sitting here waiting to die."

Makes you wonder if other people think the same things you do, that you would never admit to anyone.

Death is not something I think about often, but have. We are all on the same road, no one gets out of here alive. Death doesn't scare me, but Alzheimer and Dementia does. I have had a lot of fun and great experiences in my life and the thought of not being able to recall and relive those memories much less remember who I am is what scares me.
 
Death is not something I think about often, but have. We are all on the same road, no one gets out of here alive. Death doesn't scare me, but Alzheimer and Dementia does. I have had a lot of fun and great experiences in my life and the thought of not being able to recall and relive those memories much less remember who I am is what scares me.

Amen! To me, there are many things worse than death. My mother developed Alzheimer's disease and I was her sole caretaker. Don't want any of that for me or my kids.

On the other hand, I know that we get what we get and we need to enjoy whatever we do.
 
With the all too common scenario of Mom's/Dad's taking their own children's lives, I think it's safe to say that some folks don't really mean it when they say they'd give their life to save their child or they'd rather die before their child.
 
Those are powerful words.
I am not afraid of dying, I don't want to die but I went through stage 4 HPV cancer in early 2014 and was given a 70% chance of surviving/recovering which I did.
My biggest fear was leaving my kids behind. My dad died of a heart attack in 1972 before my 7th birthday. I think of him often still to this day and if I could sit down and talk with anyone in history for an hour it would be with my dad.
I'm 53 now and appreciate life so much more and envy the people I know who still have their parents around.
 
Thoreau wrote : “the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”
Hinting of a "value" in our quality of life perhaps?
Introspection when knowing death is imminent , brings that value right up front...
Not just the past's value but in the moments value.

When Kevorkian was in the news regular , Dad and I discussed suicide.
Knowing folks who had gone such a route ,and debating the why's....
Dad said he would rather crawl off in the bushes and shoot himself than rely on someone to wipe his backside. (That's Dad!)

We knew a relation who promised he would not do the same when losing to cancer and then did.
Tired ,or overwhelmed ,or tired of the agony perhaps.

Others wait it out. Been some tough watching folks at that stage due to a variety of conditions. Some smile a lot ,some frown a lot.
All seem to be in uncharted waters.
Most are taciturn (not wearing their innermost feelings on their sleeves beyond pain level or general affairs) in their minds/hearts.

Yeah. It can be rough when you know the end is near ,or quality of life has been greatly reduced. For how long it is , or seems to be so ; depends (as most things do) on multiple factors....
 
The quote was from the dawn of the dead movie in reference to waiting to die by zombies over running the mall. But I looked deeper into this quote. What really got me was; He is telling someone, "hey I am sorry for your loss" and he is really thinking, "better them than me". I should of highlighted it.

To me, this is the crux of it. In each and everyday when we interact with others, we lie. They may be little lies or huge ones. We let others into our minds only so far. We let loved ones in a little further. But there is a core where we never let anyone in. It is that core he is exposing in that quote.

Here he is a police officer handing a folded flag to someone who lost their life in the line of duty and he is saying how sorry he is, but really thinking, i'm glad it's not me.

Point being, the people we interact with, most likely, have the same thoughts you do. No matter how unusual or morally challenged they are.

As for the death part of the quote, that is an entirely different ball game :)
 
The quote was from the dawn of the dead movie in reference to waiting to die by zombies over running the mall. But I looked deeper into this quote. What really got me was; He is telling someone, "hey I am sorry for your loss" and he is really thinking, "better them than me". I should of highlighted it.

To me, this is the crux of it. In each and everyday when we interact with others, we lie. They may be little lies or huge ones. We let others into our minds only so far. We let loved ones in a little further. But there is a core where we never let anyone in. It is that core he is exposing in that quote.

Here he is a police officer handing a folded flag to someone who lost their life in the line of duty and he is saying how sorry he is, but really thinking, i'm glad it's not me.

Point being, the people we interact with, most likely, have the same thoughts you do. No matter how unusual or morally challenged they are.

As for the death part of the quote, that is an entirely different ball game :)

Well yes. It's easier to laugh (inside) at some one else tripping and falling than ourselves. Even if we act concerned.
 
The quote was from the dawn of the dead movie in reference to waiting to die by zombies over running the mall. But I looked deeper into this quote. What really got me was; He is telling someone, "hey I am sorry for your loss" and he is really thinking, "better them than me". I should of highlighted it.

To me, this is the crux of it. In each and everyday when we interact with others, we lie. They may be little lies or huge ones. We let others into our minds only so far. We let loved ones in a little further. But there is a core where we never let anyone in. It is that core he is exposing in that quote.

Here he is a police officer handing a folded flag to someone who lost their life in the line of duty and he is saying how sorry he is, but really thinking, i'm glad it's not me.

Point being, the people we interact with, most likely, have the same thoughts you do. No matter how unusual or morally challenged they are.

As for the death part of the quote, that is an entirely different ball game :)

Well yes. It's easier to laugh (inside) at some one else tripping and falling than ourselves. Even if we act concerned.
 
Well yes. It's easier to laugh (inside) at some one else tripping and falling than ourselves. Even if we act concerned.

I wouldn't do that. I would either laugh if I felt it was funny or be concerned
 
Always thought life was like school. All the young folks that pass away must've really excelled and done really nice things in their last lives! They got to skip a grade! They just had to show up get a body & go on to the next life.

Me? I must've been a class A screw up, got held back a couple times. Because I'm still here waiting to graduate...............
 
Personally I'm looking fwd to having some rest.

I always thought the people that are afraid of dying are the ones who know they've been less than saintly in this life. I always smile at those people with a terminal illness who want to 'make things right' before they die...every day is an opportunity to make -and keep- things right.

Example - I had an estranged uncle (parents divorced in 1983 - disowned by fathers side of the family) . Around 6 years ago he found out he had lukemia. He rushed around trying to 'make good'...cancer went into remission...as did his effort to 'make good'....ah ha ha. He died last year.

My biggest concern is that I die and go toward the light then when I arrive I find that everyone there is staring at cell phones ...

chub
 
It's interesting. As I was laying in the CCU, this last time not knowing if I would make it out of the Cath procedure this time (12 Stents), I wasn't afraid of passing on. I was upset my passing was going to cause pain for the people I love. I wondered if I had done everything I could for them. Actually crossing over never even entered my mind. Strange. :skullflag:
 
I wouldn't do that. I would either laugh if I felt it was funny or be concerned

I fall down a lot. A being wobbly vs. gravity thing.
Willing to be scored and applauded on landings , in exchange for the same.

Concerned laughter is not a crime.
 
Death is not something I think about often, but have. We are all on the same road, no one gets out of here alive. Death doesn't scare me, but Alzheimer and Dementia does. I have had a lot of fun and great experiences in my life and the thought of not being able to recall and relive those memories much less remember who I am is what scares me.
When the good Lord calls me home, I hope that I still have my mental health. I do am scare having Alzheimer and Dementia. God bless these people who have these diseases.
 
Many I have known and loved are already gone. They were all better people than me. In retrospect, I have just been taking up valuable space. Irrelevance and invisibility are my main traits. Last week I was waiting in the waiting room at the Doctor for my wife to come out. It was only me and two other people. When she came out, she looked all around, then again. Her eyes never settled on me, but passed as if unseen. She then started for the door. Invisible. This has happened with others at other places. Invisible. I have NEVER thought, better them than me.
 
Wow, b3yond3r, what a depressing statement!
When I was a young officer in the service, two common "additional duties" for me were casualty notification and funeral detail. I did them both very professionally but was totally detached, emotionally speaking.. "On behalf of the President of the United States," and "The Secretary of the Air Force regrets to inform you..." etc. Now I cannot stand to attend a military funeral, I think the grief of all those mothers and widows has finally caught up with me and it is more than I can bear. I now look at my old age as punishment, even if it is well deserved.

dts
 
Last edited:
Cannot ever remember thinking better them than me. My parents lived to be quite old. I would have given my heart to my mother without thinking as well as my dad. They were good people.
I'm not afraid of being dead-just there are some awful ways to arrive there. I've outlived four siblings who were born before me. Death is natural whatever might come after.
I do not want to live once I cannot do what I wish. It is hard for me to understand how people cling to this life when they are done for. I get survival instinct plays a part but who wants to waste away in a strange bed.
My favorite old Aunt died at her home. She said she was ready to go. Never forgot her serenity.
Oh well, better seize every moment. You never know what the day may bring.
 
Kray Gelder, I don't mean to make light here, but I can think of a hundred things you could post here which would instantly prove you are not invisible. But then you would get banned...;)
You certainly have humility which is a rare quality.
 
You know when you get up in age and realize there's no puppy moments remaining, individually do realize the shortness of time remaining. Here and there it's on my mind, and I appreciate there are still delights to experience.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom