Pre Castro, 1958 Cuba Oil Painting, Havana, MJ Crowley, Your feedback welcome.

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My most recent find... oil painting from Cuba. I found it at bottom of trash bin.

Signed by artist: M J Crowley on lower left; also, marked on backside "Church, Havana, Cuba, Oct 1958" and signed M J Crowley.
Oil on art board
Dimensions: Approximately 16inx20in
Scene: Church in Havana with dark figure.
For some strange reason, the previous owner appeared to write over the original signature but the original signature and yet, the date are quite apparent.

Does anyone recognize anything? I have no idea if there is any value to this piece so your feedback is welcome.
Thx everyone!

000_0033.jpg 000_0032.jpg 000_0035.jpg

Upvote 3

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!

Did a little research and I think this is a 1858 Painting. Crowley painted Archbishop Daniel Murray listed in the Victorian age "Art Journal No. 6" painting 139.

Daniel Murray (1768, at Sheepwalk, near Arklow, Ireland - at Dublin, 1852) was a Roman Catholic Archbishop of Dublin.

https://books.google.com/books?id=H...DAN#v=onepage&q=M J Crowley paintings&f=false

Hope this helps! There may be other MJ Crowley, but thought the religious link was there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely interesting. It is a confusing art piece because the artist appears to be Irish? BUT then.... Cigar store? Cuba? I wonder if this info has any connection "United States Tobacco Journal, Volume 73, Feb 1910:
M.J. Crowley, proprietor of a cigar store, Chicago, 15 La Salle Street, was arrested after detectives observed him accepting a bet on alleged handbook. Crowley, who is said to be an agent for Tony Brockman, gave the name of RJ Cunningh when taken to the Harrison st station. He was later released on bond. Re: Tony Brockman from Illinois Crime Survey
(~1916) Tony Brockman was recognized as the only independent gambler in the "Loop" section. The friendship of Brockman with city officials and his political strength caused the guardians of the "trust" to hesitate at the raids which were the lot of Kennedy and Karr, 290 North Clark St, and others who refused to come in or quit. The instigation of raids by gambling syndicates and the making of raids by raids a friendly and corrupt police organization of gambling houses and places maintained without the permission of the syndicate ..."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread