What's new

Pre-Rev War bar shot?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We dug this yesterday and couldn't figure out what it was until I was reading this months edition of American Digger magazine and saw something very similar posted.At first, I was thinking,bell clanger. When dug, the post coming of the piece was broken.Weight: 0.6 oz. or 262.500 grains Could this be a pre-Rev war bar shot? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00001.webp
    DSC00001.webp
    24 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC00002.webp
    DSC00002.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 361
Hi "4-H" , you've been finding some really neat stuff on your trip! As far as this object is concerned, I don't think it's bar shot, as those were larger and designed to cut rigging, demast a boat, etc.. I found one similar to your's a little while ago and the argument was whether it was grape shot or cannon ball. I went with ball because it fit a diameter of an existing British pivot gun which would have been in the waters nearbye on most of the boats harrassing the salt works. Which ever of the two yours may be, grape shot or ball, I think that dark spot or depression is from the casting sprue if anything, and is not a remains of a bar. Whchever it is, it is very cool. (how do you like the magazine you mentioned? Is it worth subscribing to?)
 
Upvote 0
Go with your instincts - cow bell clapper.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it is bar shot. The size makes me think canister(grape) shot. Cow bell clackers were usually made from scrap pieces of metal. I have five cow bells and none have round clackers. Just my thoughts, Tony
 
Upvote 0
Thanks! Good info. John, I really enjoy American Digger. Butch Holcombe and His wife are just fantastic people and are always willing to chat with you. American digger has a new program called our history project. Great talk radio dedicated to history buffs like us... Check it out!




http://www.ourhistoryproject.com/
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
I don't think it is bar shot. The size makes me think canister(grape) shot. Cow bell clackers were usually made from scrap pieces of metal. I have five cow bells and none have round clackers. Just my thoughts, Tony
I've only found one cow bell with the clapper still in it. Mine is a round ball.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Hi "4-H" , you've been finding some really neat stuff on your trip! As far as this object is concerned, I don't think it's bar shot, as those were larger and designed to cut rigging, demast a boat, etc.. I found one similar to your's a little while ago and the argument was whether it was grape shot or cannon ball. I went with ball because it fit a diameter of an existing British pivot gun which would have been in the waters nearbye on most of the boats harrassing the salt works. Which ever of the two yours may be, grape shot or ball, I think that dark spot or depression is from the casting sprue if anything, and is not a remains of a bar. Whchever it is, it is very cool. (how do you like the magazine you mentioned? Is it worth subscribing to?)
no, I broke the post off digging the relic...I saw it was connected but knocked it off with the tool. ouch! Can't find it now
 
Upvote 0
"no, I broke the post off digging the relic...I saw it was connected but knocked it off with the tool. ouch! Can't find it now"

Hmm, it had a post eh? It looks a little rough for one of these, but it is possible that it may be a ball from a small governor weight to an early small stationary engine. (seems to thin a post to be end of fireplace tool handle) electolysis will do wonders probably.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe we shouldnt be so quick to dismiss bar shot. I remember reading that they were used in muskets during the English Civil War and they have been found by other members here at TN over the years. Search here at TN and you will find a complete one. They look like lead Q-tips.
 

Attachments

  • lead unk roadquest.webp
    lead unk roadquest.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 197
  • lead unk roadquest.webp
    lead unk roadquest.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0
"Maybe we shouldnt be so quick to dismiss bar shot. I remember reading that they were used in muskets during the English Civil War and they have been found by other members here at TN over the years. Search here at TN and you will find a complete one. They look like lead Q-tips."

Interesting Cy, I'll search harder. You'd think that there'd be a danger of iron bar shot fired from a musket blowing up the barrel?
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
"Maybe we shouldnt be so quick to dismiss bar shot. I remember reading that they were used in muskets during the English Civil War and they have been found by other members here at TN over the years. Search here at TN and you will find a complete one. They look like lead Q-tips."

Interesting Cy, I'll search harder. You'd think that there'd be a danger of iron bar shot fired from a musket blowing up the barrel?
Is it lead or iron? I thought it was lead. Forget what I said if iron. :D They used LEAD musket bar shot connected by an iron post.

Here are some bell clangers found.
 

Attachments

  • bell clappers.webp
    bell clappers.webp
    7.4 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom