What's new

Pre-Roman coin or just trash?

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilst at school (many years ago!) I was always told that I had a vivid imagination and probably saw things in something that weren't really there - Probably still got this problem so this is why I'm uploading these pictures - I swear I can see a large-eyed face on the left side of this piece of 'trash'!!
Did a bit of digging in Mid-Wales and amongst a few other things found this:

Pre-Roman-or-Trash-1.webp

Pre-Roman-or-Trash-2.webp

Pre-Roman-or-Trash-3.webp

Roundish, heavy metal - about 3mm thick, 14mm at its longest and 10mm shortest.
Could it be a coin or is it just a pretty piece of 'Trash'?
David.
 
Upvote 0
DavidBeard said:
Whilst at school (many years ago!) I was always told that I had a vivid imagination and probably saw things in something that weren't really there - Probably still got this problem so this is why I'm uploading these pictures - I swear I can see a large-eyed face on the left side of this piece of 'trash'!!
Did a bit of digging in Mid-Wales and amongst a few other things found this:
Roundish, heavy metal - about 3mm thick, 14mm at its longest and 10mm shortest.
Could it be a coin or is it just a pretty piece of 'Trash'?
David.
From the color I would say its bronze or something like that. Thick? I guess so, looks a bit like an old sort of button I am thinking.
Mabye Cru will finally look here (I guess he is in the 2nd Fav field, and tell us what it could be....
Don't see the face though, can you point it out to me?
 
Upvote 0
WOODY50 said:
DavidBeard said:
Whilst at school (many years ago!) I was always told that I had a vivid imagination and probably saw things in something that weren't really there - Probably still got this problem so this is why I'm uploading these pictures - I swear I can see a large-eyed face on the left side of this piece of 'trash'!!
Did a bit of digging in Mid-Wales and amongst a few other things found this:
Roundish, heavy metal - about 3mm thick, 14mm at its longest and 10mm shortest.
Could it be a coin or is it just a pretty piece of 'Trash'?
David.
From the color I would say its bronze or something like that. Thick? I guess so, looks a bit like an old sort of button but too thick I guess.
Mabye Cru will finally look here (I guess he is in the 2nd Fav field, and tell us what it could be....
Don't see the face though, can you point it out to me?



i thought it looked like a button too and it's only 3mm thick :-\
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
From the color I would say its bronze or something like that. Thick? I guess so, looks a bit like an old sort of button but too thick I guess.
Mabye Cru will finally look here (I guess he is in the 2nd Fav field, and tell us what it could be....
Don't see the face though, can you point it out to me?
i thought it looked like a button too and it's only 3mm thick :-\
Too thick for a button -
Scratched a very small part of surface revealing silver colour rather than bronze - Heavy enough to have some lead in it.
Tried to emphasize the face here - head facing (2 eyes) with spikes, head-dress (or hair) radiating outwards.
Pre-Roman-or-Trash-Face.webp
 
Upvote 0
DavidBeard said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
From the color I would say its bronze or something like that. Thick? I guess so, looks a bit like an old sort of button but too thick I guess.
Maybe Cru will finally look here (I guess he is in the 2nd Fav field, and tell us what it could be....
Don't see the face though, can you point it out to me?
i thought it looked like a button too and it's only 3mm thick :-\
Too thick for a button -
Scratched a very small part of surface revealing silver colour rather than bronze - Heavy enough to have some lead in it.
Tried to emphasize the face here - head facing (2 eyes) with spikes, head-dress (or hair) radiating outwards.
Thanks for the other photos, I can see something for sure, but you know the problem always is with photos you see them in one dimension, with the object in your hands you turn it and such in different lighting and different angles and such you can see much much more, so I don't disagree with you at all. Although I have buttons that are more than 3mm thick, so I don't discount that. Silver it could be, or a silver colored metal... hmmm... Cru :wave: :wave: where are you????
 
Upvote 0
WOODY50 said:
DavidBeard said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
From the color I would say its bronze or something like that. Thick? I guess so, looks a bit like an old sort of button but too thick I guess.
Maybe Cru will finally look here (I guess he is in the 2nd Fav field, and tell us what it could be....
Don't see the face though, can you point it out to me?
i thought it looked like a button too and it's only 3mm thick :-\
Too thick for a button -
Scratched a very small part of surface revealing silver colour rather than bronze - Heavy enough to have some lead in it.
Tried to emphasize the face here - head facing (2 eyes) with spikes, head-dress (or hair) radiating outwards.
Thanks for the other photos, I can see something for sure, but you know the problem always is with photos you see them in one dimension, with the object in your hands you turn it and such in different lighting and different angles and such you can see much much more, so I don't disagree with you at all. Although I have buttons that are more than 3mm thick, so I don't discount that. Silver it could be, or a silver colored metal... hmmm... Cru :wave: :wave: where are you????



i've just remembered, it's the first day of the season! Cruasader has gone fishing ;D
 
Upvote 0
Hi David...

looking at your pictures it looks like the object has been heated up to just before it totally melted, that to me has give it the unusual appearance,

could well have been a coin at some time, if air had been trapped when it was heated this could have made to be the 3mm, going to be hard to determin wether it was a coin or not :( the diameter of 14mm fits about right for a coin :read2:
 
Upvote 0
WOODY50 said:
Thanks for the other photos, I can see something for sure, but you know the problem always is with photos you see them in one dimension, with the object in your hands you turn it and such in different lighting and different angles and such you can see much much more....
Just done a wee bit of filming Woody! Turning it in my hands
Its up on YouTube:

Thanks.
David.
 
Upvote 0
DavidBeard said:
WOODY50 said:
Thanks for the other photos, I can see something for sure, but you know the problem always is with photos you see them in one dimension, with the object in your hands you turn it and such in different lighting and different angles and such you can see much much more....
Just done a wee bit of filming Woody! Turning it in my hands
Thanks.
David.
Wow, great David, nice that you took the trouble to do that. I am not sure now if its a button, I am now more thinking of a lead seal. But to determine that very sharp photos are necessary from every side, because if its a lead seal there should be a place where you can see two sides of the seal. I sure hope that Cru gets back soon and eats the fish and then gets back to helping us! The color is wrong for lead (I think). David I just cannot seem to see what this is.... Sorry. You should get some posts soon that will solve the matter.... For me its a kinda wierd object...
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a lead-alloy top to an old Georgian Tobacco box, the face is where the stem broke off.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Looks like a lead-alloy top to an old Georgian Tobacco box, the face is where the stem broke off.
Neat.... is there a photo of something like that someplace?
Catch anything?
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Looks like a lead-alloy top to an old Georgian Tobacco box, the face is where the stem broke off.
Surely the stem would have been in centre - the face (if it is a face) is on the left side of the object.
How small were these tobacco boxes? - this thing fits on the end of my finger.
Looking forward to seeing any images out there.
Is it being a coin out of the question Cru?
Thanks for the Rally link. :wink:
David.
 
Upvote 0
DavidBeard said:
CRUSADER said:
Looks like a lead-alloy top to an old Georgian Tobacco box, the face is where the stem broke off.
Surely the stem would have been in centre - the face (if it is a face) is on the left side of the object.
How small were these tobacco boxes? - this thing fits on the end of my finger.
Looking forward to seeing any images out there.
Is it being a coin out of the question Cru?
Thanks for the Rally link. :wink:
David.

ok if not in centre maybe not, but a coin is definately out, are you going to the rally?
 
Upvote 0
Maybe a :icon_sunny: seal ring. The face on the back (drawn lion) is only where seal attached to ring portion.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom