Preform, scraper, ?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Today’s field walk results. Misc flint flakes (usual) and a piece of orangish chert that looked like a point when surrounded by sand.
The large piece at the bottom of the photo looks like either a preform or a scraper. The back is smooth, but the front looks partially shaped IMO.
IMG_2785.jpeg

Upvote 7

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the back side flat or does it have flake scars? Flat with no scars would mean it was a spall knocked off a core. If it’s worked on the back like it is on the front it’s a preform.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree, it does not look like a preform, it could have been a blank, a work in progress,
Its hard to determine from the single image.
From the side, what is the profile?
This area is what I am talking about.
1711103211042.png

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I agree, it does not look like a preform, it could have been a blank, a work in progress,
Its hard to determine from the single image.
From the side, what is the profile?
This area is what I am talking about.
View attachment 2138817
That makes sense. I think I misunderstood the term preform. I thought it meant any that were just partially shaped. The back is smooth. The front definitely has had small flakes removed in several places.
I think the work in progress label may apply. I appreciate the help from you and from ToddsPoint.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying this piece shows enough to count but there’s also uniface pieces, seems like your getting the hang of looking at stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread