pretty sure my oldest button to date

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only dug one hole after work in my front yard that I just started hunting. My father built the cabin on this land when I was three. He sold it when I was 15 and I just bought it back at the age of 34 :-).

This button is a Mitchel &Tyler button with the Va seal on the front and Richmond Va in the back. I hope someone here can give me a date and what it was used on.

Thanks in advance and HH to all,

Matt

ForumRunner_20140616_211958.png

ForumRunner_20140616_212014.png

ForumRunner_20140616_212036.png

Upvote 2

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
Probably Civil War coat size Virginia state button. Confederate. Great find man!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. I know very little about buttons. But there are guys on here who could write books about them they have, and share, so much knowledge. Hopefully one of them will help you out. I would suggest larger and sharper photos. Might help with an accurate ID.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mitchell & Tyler, of Richmond VA, was the firm of Samuel Mitchell and John H. Tyler. They were jewelers, watchmakers, and dealers of "military goods." The firm began in 1846, when those two partners bought out William Mitchell, Jr. The firm lasted until Samuel Mitchell's death in 1866, when it became the John H. Tyler Company. Buttons marked Mitchell & Tyler were actually manufactured by the Scovill Company of Waterbury CT. (M&T were DEALERS, not button-makers.) Most are pre-civil-war. However, some 3-piece types (like yours) can date after the civil war, because one postwar order placed with Scovill specified "M&T backs."
(Info source for the above is the Mitchell & Tyler entry in the book "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates, by William F.. McGuinn & Bruce S. Bazelon.)

That being said, there are several variations in Mitchell & Tyler Backmarks. Some have one ring of dots, others have two rings of dots. Some include the abbreviation "VA" for Virginia, and some lack it. Some miss-spell Mitchell's name, leaving off the second L in his name. Go to the following webpage and see which backmark matches yours.
Button backmarks,* Mitchell & Tyler, Richmond, Virginia.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mitchell & Tyler, of Richmond VA, was the firm of Samuel Mitchell and John H. Tyler. They were jewelers, watchmakers, and dealers of "military goods." The firm began in 1846, when those two partners bought out William Mitchell, Jr. The firm lasted until Samuel Mitchell's death in 1866, when it became the John H. Tyler Company. Buttons marked Mitchell & Tyler were actually manufactured by the Scovill Company of Waterbury CT. (M&T were DEALERS, not button-makers.) Most are pre-civil-war. However, some 3-piece types (like yours) can date after the civil war, because one postwar order placed with Scovill specified "M&T backs."
(Info source for the above is the Mitchell & Tyler entry in the book "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates, by William F.. McGuinn & Bruce S. Bazelon.)

That being said, there are several variations in Mitchell & Tyler Backmarks. Some have one ring of dots, others have two rings of dots. Some include the abbreviation "VA" for Virginia, and some lack it. Some miss-spell Mitchell's name, leaving off the second L in his name. Go to the following webpage and see which backmark matches yours.
Button backmarks,* Mitchell & Tyler, Richmond, Virginia.

SEE? I TOLD YA!!! Guys like CannonballGuy would probably write their own books about CW relics. I love these guys!!!

OP
OP
3 of 6 GMG's

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCannonballGuy you are a great help. Thank you very much. HH and please stay safe while doing so.

Thanks again,
Matt

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beez04040 wrote:
> Guys like CannonballGuy would probably write their own books about CW relics.

Actually, I already did. First one was with Tom Dickey in 1980, then an updated edition of it by myself in 1993. (Tom "crossed over the river" in 1987.) Also, I've been writing articles for the North/South Trader's Civil War magazine for over 20 years. I've currently got a series running in that magazine called "Correcting The Record"... which means correcting longstanding incorrect identifications of various relics as being from the civil war, but they are actually from the post-civil-war era or the early-1900s. It's painful for me to have to watch so many Ebay sellers succeed at peddling postwar civilian junk as civil war military relics.

I doubt I'll ever write a full-length book again... so, my 3,500 educational posts in TreasureNet's "What Is It?" forum are my legacy to y'all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
3 of 6 GMG's

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beez04040 wrote:
> Guys like CannonballGuy would probably write their own books about CW relics.

Actually, I already did. First one was with Tom Dickey in 1980, then an updated edition of it in 1993. Also, I've been writing articles for the North/South Trader's Civil War magazine for over 20 years. I've currently got a series running in that magazine called "Correcting The Record"... which means correcting longstanding incorrect identifications of various relics as being from the civil war, but they are actually from the post-civil-war era or the early-1900s.

I doubt I'll ever write a full-length book again... so, my 3,500 educational posts in TreasureNet's "What Is It?" forum are my legacy to y'all.

And we are ever more appropriate of your wealth in knowledge and willing to help us out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread