Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it appears the Xcal will have another increase.... they like their machine. Looks like this will give Fisher an opportunity to increase the CZ21 as well..... by about 30%. Im sure those prices will also be reflected in repair costs and used prices will increase. Im sorry, but i don have a glimps of the big picture i guess since neither have made any improvements that i can see. One called it production costs the other ..... well it cant be because the dollar has fallen AGAIN.... so id have to say its because they can. At this point i see no need to buy new..... looks like finding a good USED machine and paying for any repairs is the smarter thing to do. I know some will say just find another ring or two.... or three, but even thats been a challenge this year with all the sand and cool weather. Id just like to see something..... ANYTHING that would make me feel like im getting something for that extra money.

Dew

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If Minelab added the the pinpoint mod and a carbon fiber straight shaft it would be worth the increase in price. Otherwise buy used if you can return it!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Minelab added the the pinpoint mod and a carbon fiber straight shaft it would be worth the increase in price. Otherwise buy used if you can return it!
Wonder why they don't come with a stock straight shaft...most everyone changes them and some people don't like to spend that much on a detector and have to make mods...seems like they could make more sales if they came with a straight shaft.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it ID iron better than the other machines?

Nulls on iron and still tell you if there is gold located beside iron.

I have physically tested, putting 16 penny nail in middle of gold ring and scanned it. I got null scanning N-S rescanned it E-W and get the sweet tone of gold.

I have recovered gold ring using same process in real life recovering gold ring that nulled one direction but gave me good tone opposite direction, recovered gold ring and iron screw in same scoop.....

When I first started using excal I dug hundreds of nulls that only nulled one direction, never once was it wrong as being iron.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, the prices you get at Minelab's direct site will ALWAYS Be higher than you can get at a local dealer. We and all other dealers have the Excal at the same $1499 price that is has been at for a while.

On on the other hand, there IS an announced price increase for the Fisher CZ-21, which takes effect on January 16, 2015. Until then we still have them at $1125. :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, the prices you get at Minelab's direct site will ALWAYS Be higher than you can get at a local dealer. We and all other dealers have the Excal at the same $1499 price that is has been at for a while.

On on the other hand, there IS an announced price increase for the Fisher CZ-21, which takes effect on January 16, 2015. Until then we still have them at $1125. :)
I talked to Gene at Kellyco, they have not heard of any price increase by Minelab..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nulls on iron and still tell you if there is gold located beside iron.

I have physically tested, putting 16 penny nail in middle of gold ring and scanned it. I got null scanning N-S rescanned it E-W and get the sweet tone of gold.

I have recovered gold ring using same process in real life recovering gold ring that nulled one direction but gave me good tone opposite direction, recovered gold ring and iron screw in same scoop.....

When I first started using excal I dug hundreds of nulls that only nulled one direction, never once was it wrong as being iron.

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
Thanks for the info Treasure Hunter...Ive never used an Excal, its definitely the most used detector at the beach.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Treasure Hunter...Ive never used an Excal, its definitely the most used detector at the beach.

We need to get together for a hunt, I have 2 custom excals, you could use one to try out ... Excals with the reverse disc mod are a totally new detector....

― James Madison

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to get together for a hunt, I have 2 custom excals, you could use one to try out ... Excals with the reverse disc mod are a totally new detector....

― James Madison
Im making a transition between jobs right now but when I get straightened out maybe we could meet up on an East coast beach for some wet sand hunting...maybe by the time Im able to go there will be some erosion...I would like to try an Excal, especially one with the mods.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im making a transition between jobs right now but when I get straightened out maybe we could meet up on an East coast beach for some wet sand hunting...maybe by the time Im able to go there will be some erosion...I would like to try an Excal, especially one with the mods.

No problem and I will give you heads up when I'm headed your way. I am also in job transition, I will be taking a new job some time early part of this year.. I'm on short term disability for back injury at moment....

― James Madison

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder why they don't come with a stock straight shaft...most everyone changes them and some people don't like to spend that much on a detector and have to make mods...seems like they could make more sales if they came with a straight shaft.

The answer to that is ..... why should they if we do the mods and pay full price. I think WE are the reason there arent more BHID..... we brag up the Xcal and CZ and no one wants what they think may be second best. What he means about the Xcal and iron is ...... the Xcals IM is set to just HATE iron. It dislikes iron better than any machine in the water. You dont get nearly the wrap around high tone off iron you do with other machines..... its got pretty good ID on those deep iron targets.

Bedford............ are you saying there ISNT going to be a price increase.... or that we best get-um at the current price tag?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to that is ..... why should they if we do the mods and pay full price. I think WE are the reason there arent more BHID..... we brag up the Xcal and CZ and no one wants what they think may be second best. What he means about the Xcal and iron is ...... the Xcals IM is set to just HATE iron. It dislikes iron better than any machine in the water. You dont get nearly the wrap around high tone off iron you do with other machines..... its got pretty good ID on those deep iron targets.

Bedford............ are you saying there ISNT going to be a price increase.... or that we best get-um at the current price tag?

You can't beat the excals feature of nulling on iron, I have never seen it fail, a null was always iron as long as you remember to sweep nulls twice from different directions to see if something was by the iron..

If there was a planned price increase soon Bedford and Kellyco would know. Sooner or later there will probably be one one day...

― James Madison

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One hears about how great the null-iron feature is ... it is however plagued by tid bits of aluminum foil which will keep ya digging, while a PI in most instances will skip right over it

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One hears about how great the null-iron feature is ... it is however plagued by tid bits of aluminum foil which will keep ya digging, while a PI in most instances will skip right over it

Dew I have very little problem with aluminum foil as its tone is fairly easy to recognize. Can slaw is a different story...

― James Madison

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree...... recognizing foil is a no brainer, but we both have a lot of hours. Ive gotten the Blues down pretty good on tones now using the GGA and Skullie headphones. I have one Xcal thats deeper in PP...... in disc not even the threshold changes on those targets. I check out a good many targets even if i know what they are..... just because there isnt that many targets out there once you NULL out iron. You do great with your PI Dew...... but i do about as well with the Xcal. BUT im sure i have a lot more in mods and repair costs than you. However.......... i HATE bobbie pins and fish hooks, especially if they are 15" deep. The Xcals like using a PPer Dew..... take a little sand off and if it nulls move on.

Dew

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No problem and I will give you heads up when I'm headed your way. I am also in job transition, I will be taking a new job some time early part of this year.. I'm on short term disability for back injury at moment....

― James Madison

Id like to join that hunt if you have room for one more.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to join that hunt if you have room for one more.

INo problem on my end...

I see your ex air force, I was in AF 1967-1971....

― James Madison

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, tones are discernible ... Just as they are on the PI ... No need to dig iron if one listens ...
For example, on the shark, a skippy tone is 98% iron ...
Course, one can be fooled, as I once dug a Platinum saphire braclet which gave same tone.
Same can be said with the excal ...

Way too much emphasis is put on "PI's find iron" than needs to be placed ...
Little to never is the mention on foil to the excal, for example, which is in fact, a burden,
just as iron would be to the PI.

Hunt on brethren.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, tones are discernible ... Just as they are on the PI ... No need to dig iron if one listens ...
For example, on the shark, a skippy tone is 98% iron ...
Course, one can be fooled, as I once dug a Platinum saphire braclet which gave same tone.
Same can be said with the excal ...

Way too much emphasis is put on "PI's find iron" than needs to be placed ...
Little to never is the mention on foil to the excal, for example, which is in fact, a burden,
just as iron would be to the PI.

Hunt on brethren.

I have hunted with 3 different partners who used PIs, they all 3 dug a ton of iron, all 3 eventually give up the PIs too.... Tin foil is not an issue for me or my partners who use excals ...... Just saying...

― James Madison

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if the CZ-20 conversion is going up also? Still available for $300?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread