What's new

Printing plate scene?

Iron Patch

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
19,276
Reaction score
8,953
Golden Thread
3
Location
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is lead, and I believe a printing plate., Anyone recognize the scene? Dug by a friend who is trying to learn as much, or anything he can about it.
 

Attachments

  • plate1.webp
    plate1.webp
    298.2 KB · Views: 309
....and for your viewing pleasure an 8 reale they just came up with. Guess I might as well add the military button for ID. I have found three of these, and not sure if I ever did find out what they are. Well I am pretty sure it's from a small British militia unit, just don't know which one.
 

Attachments

  • 8a.webp
    8a.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 8b.webp
    8b.webp
    48 KB · Views: 306
  • 8a.webp
    8a.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 8b.webp
    8b.webp
    48 KB · Views: 288
  • tlvb.webp
    tlvb.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0
With the relief that is visible I would think this was pressed into something soft like clay or something was pored over it. If this was used on paper the relief would not show up. There was a time when I had a friend who had a collection of very collectible porcelain type squares called lithophanes. Maybe these where molds for that purpose.
 
Upvote 0
artyfacts said:
With the relief that is visible I would think this was pressed into something soft like clay or something was pored over it. If this was used on paper the relief would not show up. There was a time when I had a friend who had a collection of very collectible porcelain type squares called lithophanes. Maybe these where molds for that purpose.


Yes, neither me or my friend know anything about it so it very well could be.
 
Upvote 0
I believe I see initials on the right hand side at the bottom of the old mans robes, R.C. ? If these are initials it would of had to of been viewed from the present side to be correct. I know that the whole thing with the lithophanes was the artists rendering of the relief making the high and low points in the thin like porcelain giving them shading or dark and light factors. The lithophanes that I viewed where extraordinary compared to this example, if this is what it was made for.
 
Upvote 0
RP, rest in peace?
 
Upvote 0
I have no proof but my first impression (no pun intended) was "Christ before Pilate" or a family reunion for the guy in IP's avatar. ;D

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I have no proof but my first impression (no pun intended) was "Christ before Pilate"...
DCMatt
Sounds plausible considering the small finger bowl(?) in front of the Pilate figure to the left.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
....and for your viewing pleasure an 8 reale they just came up with. Guess I might as well add the military button for ID. I have found three of these, and not sure if I ever did find out what they are. Well I am pretty sure it's from a small British militia unit, just don't know which one.

The plate is a religious scene but I guess you knew that :D

Agreed a small early 19th C British Militia, hard one to pin down but I can help a little, I think:
T= the town, but hard to guess which one. (Twekesbury, Truro, Tavistock, Tauton, Tiverton, Tamworth etc....)
L= Local
V= Volunteers
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I have no proof but my first impression (no pun intended) was "Christ before Pilate"
My first thought was one of the stations of the cross or Pontius Pilate.
 
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if it is depicting the Apostles Creed:


I believe in God the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord:
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary, (the 2 people on the right look like Mary & Joseph with Mary holding baby Jesus)
suffered under Pontius Pilate, (Pontius Pilate looks like the guy in the middlle)
was crucified, dead, and buried; (There is a cross like item in Jesus hand in the middle of the plate)
the third day he rose from the dead; (Mary Magdelene is anointing Jesus' head. Behind M.M.'s head looks to be a tomb.)
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;The God figure on the left is holding a child with his right hand)
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints, It looks like communion on the table)
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom