Garret AT PRO, Mark Racer, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Never noticed a battery preference but usually run Duracell.
I do get my thumb over the speaker on occasion, and have gotten dirt,mud, and clay in it's slots.
Depending on how much of the slots are covered it varies from reduced sound to very little sound.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read that duracells I believe are not the exact same length as others and you may want to check that out.a piece of folded paper behind it should do the trick.

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
All the hand held pointers suffer from the same problem......poor battery connection. Because the battery is not snapped into place or has a proper connecter for a 9 volt battery, you are relying on pressure on the pointer's copper battery tabs for a good connection. Every time you jab the pointer in the hole or knock it against the side of the hole, plus the vibration of the pointer itself you are changing the tension of the connection causing erratic pointer behavior. I have found this out with my pointer, I am going to get a hard wired 9 volt connecter and solder 2 wires onto the pointer tabs, I might have to modify the pointer a little but it is better then how it carry's on at the moment. Every time I change battery's it is like playing Russian roulette whether it will function correctly or not.

I just changed battery in my Vulcan and now it is acting goofy (new duracell) I am sick of mucking around with ****** rigging it with paper trying to make it work right.

Last edited:

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about cutting a piece of cushion foam to fit on the inside of the cap and glue it to the cap? I haven't had this problem yet but it seems like it might work.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Inside the stock cap was a little foam or other material round piece. It wandered around then came loose.
I used a cupboard bumper pad/cushion to replace it. Some small furniture pads might do it too. Other mentions have been made in the past of adding a coin or two for shimming.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inside the stock cap was a little foam or other material round piece. It wandered around then came loose.
I used a cupboard bumper pad/cushion to replace it. Some small furniture pads might do it too. Other mentions have been made in the past of adding a coin or two for shimming.

I stick a pulltab on top of mine. God knows I don't have any trouble finding one of them.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try a different style of battery....I think the were originally shipped w/ evereadys, but I could be wrong.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at the battery type. You need alkalines or a battery that will put out the full 9 volts. The rechargeables put out less than the full volts even when fully charged.

Also, alkaline batteries will self-discharge in the heat. The hotter it is, the faster they self-discharge. So do not keep spare batteries in your car where it will get hot. My car gets to 120F on summer days. Are these older batteries that maybe got exposed to heat for too long?

I use Sunbeam 9v from the dollar store in my Pro Pointer.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Sunbeam 9v from the dollar store in my Pro Pointer.

Its funny because I bought 2 of these for a dollar at the dollar store for backups, and they have lasted longer then the others I have put in there..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions