Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will probably appear like a dumb question to many here, but....

Most detectors regardless of brand have some form of VDI, either an analog scale or digital indicator that attempts to let us know what we might be looking at under the ground...pulltab, horseshoe, silver dollar etc. Is the numerical indication a constant, between mfg'rs and models?

In other words will something reading 45 on one machine, register very near the same on another machine? I understand that it's an electronic measure and things vary between machines. I'm trying to figure out if moving between detectors, I should make up my own chart listing what the reading was based on what was in the hole, for each detector or just assume they're close. I've been spending more time in my research lately refining that as much as I can, now I want to refine my skills with the detector, all in hopes of improving my results.

Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. Whites machines VDI range from -95 to +95, Garrett AT Pro has a range of 0-99 with Iron in the 0-40 range, Tesoro ranges from 0-95 with Iron at 0 and silver at 95, Fisher F2 ranges from 0-99.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The VDI is only a PERCENTAGE. If your machine says (for instance) that a certain metal is "5" on a scale of 1 to 10, then it is 50% of scale. That same metal will show "50" on a scale of 1 to 100.... 50% of scale. TTC

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Most detectors i have .........have no VDI i don't like VDI .....So i don't have to worry about numbers...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Now listen closely. The screen is to see battery life and all the wonderful settings you adjust to. That's it. After that it's all in the ears, so listen closely.

OP
OP
P

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now listen closely. The screen is to see battery life and all the wonderful settings you adjust to. That's it. After that it's all in the ears, so listen closely.

I do pretty much use my ears but got spoiled with my 6000di Pro SL...the vdi on it is very accurate it seems and was dead on for estimated depth, but my Prizim 6T seems to be less so and it seems like nearly everything shows up 40-45, or 85-95, once out of the iron range.

OP
OP
P

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC & Mzjavert....thanks for both your responses, both answer the questions very clearly.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, if it was only that simple. Some of you haven't played with an Explorer/E-trac/CTX3030 yet.......

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I do pretty much use my ears but got spoiled with my 6000di Pro SL...the vdi on it is very accurate it seems and was dead on for estimated depth, but my Prizim 6T seems to be less so and it seems like nearly everything shows up 40-45, or 85-95, once out of the iron range.

M6.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better just to go by sound and knock out whatever metals you're not interested in....if you get a pretty solid 2 way signal dig it....you'll probably dig a fair amount of junk but you won't miss many keepers either.

Checking the screen or VDI is a bit like constantly checking the speedometer on your car when driving rather than concentrating on the road...more of a distraction than anything...IMHO opinion.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread