Probably Gonna Need a Better Digger

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Yesterday it was 40 degrees here in southern WI, so I thought I would try some woods hunting. Well, there was about 2" of frost, and I tried to be careful, but my diggers did not hold up well. The top one I have been using for 10 years so far, works great in normal soil. It got bent up going through the frost, so I tried my backup, a cast aluminum digger. That one did not fare well either. I did find one wheat cent.

Attachments

• DSCF3049.JPG
    DSCF3049.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF3051.JPG
    DSCF3051.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday it was 40 degrees here in southern WI, so I thought I would try some woods hunting. Well, there was about 2" of frost, and I tried to be careful, but my diggers did not hold up well. The top one I have been using for 10 years so far, works great in normal soil. It got bent up going through the frost, so I tried my backup, a cast aluminum digger. That one did not fare well either. I did find one wheat cent.
Frozen ground can be like concrete,as you well know.If it,s where you don,t have to dig real neat holes,try something like a masons hammer or ice axe to chop up and loosen the frozen stuff to get down to something you can handle with your digger. Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread