What's new

Problems with my DFX

mlayers

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
5,579
Reaction score
429
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how often I need to buy a new battery for my DFX. I just bought one 2 yrs ago and nw it will not charge. Is this common with the rechargable battery. Dose anyone else how here have to buy a new battery every couple of years. My son has a remote control car that he has had for 10 yrs and he has never bought a differt battery for it. It still has the orginal one.....Matt
 
It may be the charger and not the battery. I had a DFX and never had a problem with the battery or the charger. Call White's at (541) 367-6121. Explain the situation and I bet they send one out to you.
 
Good luck finding the problem, Matt. I think you will be happy with the service at White's.........I hope. I had a friend stop by there in Sweet Home Oregon a few month's ago and had a problem with one of his detectors. He said that they fixed it on the spot with no questions asked. I've had the same kind of service with Garrett.......so far. 2 broken parts and they mailed me a new one both times with no money or questions asked.
 
If you own or can borrow a voltmeter, just check the output of the charger to verify.
 
Matt, after a year mine dosen't seem to hold a charge like it did when new...
 
Those rechargeable batteries have memory. I fully discharge mine by leaving the detector on. Then, I put the battery on the charger, usually overnite. ffd
 
The White's rechargeables do not have a memory. White's specifically warns against fully discharging their batteries.
Using a voltmeter to test the charger probably won't work, since the charger doesn't provide a charge unless it senses a load.
I've had the rechargeables in my 6000's, Eagles, Spectrums, XLT, and DFX and never had a problem with one. However, they do go bad every now and then. There's no way to predict when, either.
Most often, a battery that won't charge is the result of charging a battery overnight with the chargers set to "fast charge". That will fry a battery every time.
Does the red light on the charger come on when you plug it in to the battery? If not, I'd suspect the charger. If the red light comes on, but the battery doesn't charge, suspect the battery.
The best advice is to call White's and see what they have to say.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom