Processing a old slag pile ??

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I just wonder about the slag piles that were left over from the 17/1800's in the Southwest / Western part of the United States if their smelting process was complete as it is today? I'm wondering if they missed a speck or two of fine gold in their rush to get their job done and not rushed it and missed something ? If a person was close to one of these location's , do you think running some of their slag would get anything ? They got most of it BUT MAYBE a speck here and there??? One way to find out !:coffee2::coffee2:It would probly cost more than you would get BUT WHAT IF ???

Upvote 3

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dredged right below one of the slag dumps and sunk my 6" dredge with gold & lead. They lost a ton and it literally piled up enough in my box that it sunk the back end of the dredge. That's when I started weighing gold by the pound.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder about the slag piles that were left over from the 17/1800's in the Southwest / Western part of the United States if their smelting process was complete as it is today? I'm wondering if they missed a speck or two of fine gold in their rush to get their job done and not rushed it and missed something ? If a person was close to one of these location's , do you think running some of their slag would get anything ? They got most of it BUT MAYBE a speck here and there??? One way to find out !:coffee2::coffee2:It would probly cost more than you would get BUT WHAT IF ???
Not sure about gold, but in the old silver and lead mines they have been shown to have missed 10-30 percent in their slag piles from locations even dating as recent as the early 1900s.(check out the guy who bought cerro gordo, he recently tested slag piles there and showed they missed A LOT in that area.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions