TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It always wise to check with experts on a particular relic's type before tossing it in the junkbox as an "Unknown."

Projectiles have been my main study-area in the relic field for nearly 40 years. Sorry that I have to answer your question by saying your find is definitely not a projectile of any kind ...nor a part of one. Its body is cylindrical, which is correct for a Rifled Cannon projectile, but as a possible candidate for being that kind, it lacks any of the necessary characteristics, such as a way to attach a sabot to it, or to attach it onto "the rest" of a projectile.

By the way, THANK YOU for including a ruler/tape-measure in the photos. :) Many posters fail to do that, and it's MUCH harder to figure out what an object is when there's no way to know from a posted photo if the object is one inch long or one foot long.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
It always wise to check with experts on a particular relic's type before tossing it in the junkbox as an "Unknown."

Projectiles have been my main study-area in the relic field for nearly 40 years. Sorry that I have to answer your question by saying your find is definitely not a projectile of any kind ...nor a part of one. Its body is cylindrical, which is correct for a Rifled Cannon projectile, but as a possible candidate for being that kind, it lacks any of the necessary characteristics, such as a way to attach a sabot to it, or to attach it onto "the rest" of a projectile.

By the way, THANK YOU for including a ruler/tape-measure in the photos. :) Many posters fail to do that, and it's MUCH harder to figure out what an object is when there's no way to know from a posted photo if the object is one inch long or one foot long.

Thanks so much for your expertise and help in ruling out any sort of projectile, CannonballGuy. I'm a little disappointed, but also happy to know what it is--or rather isn't! I guess I sound like sour grapes, but I'm more of a button/plate collector anyway, simply because that's about all we find in my neck of the woods--there were no major battles within 40 miles of here and my " range" is about 10 miles, so I rarely encounter any large shells, etc. I only hunt where I can get written permission, and outside of 10 miles, I just don't know that many people!
Thanks again for all your help! BTW, any idea what this critter might be???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
No problem. Does there look to be any kind of tool marks on it?
I'm not sure about tool marks, but there appear to be multiple hammer marks or "bruises" to the metal, especially on that wide side band--don't know what this could signify!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread