What's new

Proper swing technique..

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
12,055
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a look at a proper swing style.
 
I had to explain the swing thing several times to my wife at first when she first started but she has a pretty level swing now. A lot of people don't realize how much stuff they miss or skip because of their swing and how fast they walk as they swing. I guess this is one of the things that actually helps when you hunt an already hunted spot unless they really gridded correctly like Cru does in England. This is why we sometimes are amazed to find something that we should have found previously but missed. Smokey speaks of walking between and behind two other detectors and finding stuff that they missed because of no over lap in swings between them. So many variables that are sometimes overlooked, especially by newbies or people in a hurry.
 
Nice Video! :icon_thumleft:

IMHO: I think of coil swing technique as painting the ground with your coil. In painting there is a slight overlap (15% - 20%) with a uniform brush stroke and height (moving the grass). I'm a firm believer in brushing the grass with the coil, while maintaining it as close to parallel as I can throughout the entire swing movement. Walk speed is a very important factor...only walk as fast as your coil can actually cover the area wish to be searched. I have demonstrated this technique for my club members using smooth sand in a volleyball court. The visual is far better than the words...a fast walk speed can miss a very large area each swing. Maybe next spring I will determine the actual percent of missed area vs walk speed.

GL & HH
 
Ya mean I can't do it like they show on "Who done it" TV shows?:BangHead:
Nice VID on 'splainin things.
Marvin
 
I travel pretty fast looking for the site. Then it's a different story once I found the site. lol
 
You hear it all the time. “Low and slow.” Great video.
 
I travel pretty fast looking for the site. Then it's a different story once I found the site. lol

looking for a reason to slow down, a lot of people do that. my pretty fast these days is slowing down for most LOL. my slowing down even more is like many's gridding. it is what it is
 
Great video! Exactly what my wife needed to see! Thank you!
 
Great post I notice where I slowed down and did so much better!!!Thanks for the post!!!!!
 
I’ll admit I’m a walker that probably doesn’t swing twice over the same spot twice unless I hear something intriguing on the first pass. Might have too slow it down. Damn coffee I’m telling ya.
 
Huntsman53 The only thing that swing will catch is Jane.
 
Thank you so much. But climatologists and botanists Wladmir Koppen & Rudolf Geiger don't define the whole world as open grass areas or UK crop fields . With so many different types of sites to metal detect how can there be one proper swing technique. I understand about keeping the coil just off the ground. Around natural or man made objects there is no swing. Tp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom