Protect your PinPointer Tip to prevent FLEX. It's not about cosmetic damage.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After doing some more extensive research on what potentially causes failures in the Garrett Pro Pointer series, I've found that FLEX is a big part of it. Pin pointers are not meant to "bend." Many of us use pressure when we're pin pointing, pressing it down on the ground, pressing against the sidewalls, etc. It's an unavoidable part of the hobby. We don't really "hover" our pin pointers! We touch them to the earth, probe the ground, etc.

The Garrett Pro Pointer line has a pretty beefy end to it, and that's because there's a ferrous "Stick" in the last few inches of the pin pointer that provides the detection field. This is the length of detection along the inside of the pin pointer, and one of the greatest aspects to the Garrett Series (long detection field makes swipe isolation a snap). While the technical details aren't covered here, this "stick" is glued into the base of the pin pointer. When this stick flexes, or breaks due to flexing, it can cause FALSING.

For those who owned an older black Garrett Pro Pointer (or maybe even a newer AT) you have experienced when the pin pointer would false if you pressed the tip at an angle on something. This is a result of the effect above. It is also NOT ADVISABLE to go out and TRY to make it flex to false (that's just silly, who would do that, knowing you could damage it, right?)

Basically, if the pin pointer's shell loses it's rigidity, and starts flexing, falsing can occur.

So... Why do Tip Protectors help?
They keep the surface from wearing down, keep the shell THICK, and thus prevent FLEX. A thinner shell flexes more, and is more prone to falsing/breaking. Simple as that. Additionally, that scraping bar also adds some additional support structure. Scrape it enough, though, and it'll wear away, and you lose that rigidity on the outside of the shell.

There you have it. Tip protectors do more than just prevent cosmetic wear, or simple surface loss . They prevent material loss, which helps prevent flex... Which then helps prevent falsing under pressure or breakage of the ferrous "Stick" inside the pin pointer.

Protect your pin pointer. It's cheap and easy, and for those who are without one for "Up to 10 days" due to warranty service, you know the loss of a pin pointer in the field.

Also.. .don't push so hard! LOL

Cheers!

Skippy

Wonder where to get one? Many of you know that I sell the Tip Protectors for hobbiests, because I couldn't find one I liked, myself.
Those are here for $8, if you're interested:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...protectors-fits-origina-ii-set-3-shipped.html
Or on EBay for $9:
Tip Protectors - Set of 3 - Fits Garrett Pro Pointer (I, II, AT). Free Shipping! | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread