protocol for detecting at peoples houses?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll get a bunch of differing opinions on this subject.
Personally I show them what I find, if they want to keep it, that's fine, I just like finding stuff.
Others may just show the owners some pennies, or hand over a couple Wheaties.
Most of the guys I know are exceptionally greedy and will offer the junk side of their apron.
But always thank them, also dig for more info, maybe neighbors/relatives that maybe you could detect their places also. I've got enough yards lined up to last me till 2088 lol.

Mike

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
I appreciate the comments so far not like I get to detect much but I always need the opinions and research when I finally get the opportunity to use it.

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
The reason for my question is my grandmother wants me to detect on her old property(no longer hers)where they used to play with old metal toy cars and bury them under the porch

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Doh!! Please kind person allow this guy to help find the tootsie toys!

PS I'm kinda drunk, I'll say something serious about 8 hours from now. :headbang: :laughing7:

Lol. I don't know if they are tootsie toys or not she said they were like 4 to 8 inches long

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
You'll get a bunch of differing opinions on this subject.
Personally I show them what I find, if they want to keep it, that's fine, I just like finding stuff.
Others may just show the owners some pennies, or hand over a couple Wheaties.
Most of the guys I know are exceptionally greedy and will offer the junk side of their apron.
But always thank them, also dig for more info, maybe neighbors/relatives that maybe you could detect their places also. I've got enough yards lined up to last me till 2088 lol.

Mike

Thanks I appreciate it. I have lots of my own property along with family property all 1920s or older just working 70 hrs a week doesn't leave any time for hobbies

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
I've made this mistake! If you let them pick? they usually go right for the good stuff. I would too! lol

Some people don't care and never even look or care what you found. Others will follow you around and watch every move. you can even offer to split the finds. That is what I do if they ask. It also kind of depends on the site and what you find too. If it's a historic site and the person takes pride in their historic building, some finds would mean more to them than me. So, situation makes a difference to me. I'm not sure if there is a set rule. Just so when you leave both parties are happy!

That changes with every place sometimes. I detected an old farm house and thought the guy was going to be a pain. I practically begged him to detect it. I told him I would split any finds. As I found stuff I walked over and put it on the car hood, so there was no question in what I was finding. After I was done, he looked, and said he didn't want any of it. So, you never know!

Thanks you for the input I take all input to heart. You never know when it is needed

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Give them the bottlecaps and pull tabs.

Keep the good stuff and don't tell them about it.

You're welcome.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INredneck, if you are granted permission to hunt anyone's home �� site, that in itself should be respected! Any find that relates to the property should be freely given to the property/home owner. Also, ANY and ALL finds should be at least shown to owner. If permission wasn't initially granted, none of the finds would have occurred.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
INredneck, if you are granted permission to hunt anyone's home site, that in itself should be respected! Any find that relates to the property should be freely given to the property/home owner. Also, ANY and ALL finds should be at least shown to owner. If permission wasn't initially granted, none of the finds would have occurred.
Peace ✌

True thanks

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's my spiel;
After introductions and pleasantries, I get down to it lest they think I'm there for religious or nefarious reasons.
My offer is this:
Do you want to see what I find ?
If you like that, I'll do my research and give you that and the pics of what I find. (or what they may be interested in)
If I find something that would be important to your family and you want it, it's yours.
If I find anything really valuable like a brick of gold, I'll split it with you.
Otherwise, I'll fill all my holes with the plugs I took out to save your grass, remove all the trash I find, and If you have company here (lots of cars)
I'll pass by until another day, and if there's ever any reason you'd rather I not be there that day, please just say,
I don't mind, and I'll be gone until it's OK for you.

This way, you automatically answer most of the questions they may have then or esp. later when they have a chance to think about it.
I also let them know I will be there more than once. Some people think it's just an hour's visit.
If that's all they give me, I'll take it. But if you've told them in advance, relationships will be better, and they will be
more likely to turn you on to relatives, neighbors, and friends. (which they will)

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always just knock on the door and ask permission. If they say no i always say thanks for your time and am polite. But I always keep a few references with me also. I say If your on the fence about it here's a few numbers of peoples houses I have detected feel free to call and ask them about ewhat i'm about. Of course I always ask previous peoples permission before giving out any numbers. Also as always I try to dig nice holes and leave the palce looking as I found it.

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Here's my spiel;
After introductions and pleasantries, I get down to it lest they think I'm there for religious or nefarious reasons.
My offer is this:
Do you want to see what I find ?
If you like that, I'll do my research and give you that and the pics of what I find. (or what they may be interested in)
If I find something that would be important to your family and you want it, it's yours.
If I find anything really valuable like a brick of gold, I'll split it with you.
Otherwise, I'll fill all my holes with the plugs I took out to save your grass, remove all the trash I find, and If you have company here (lots of cars)
I'll pass by until another day, and if there's ever any reason you'd rather I not be there that day, please just say,
I don't mind, and I'll be gone until it's OK for you.

This way, you automatically answer most of the questions they may have then or esp. later when they have a chance to think about it.
I also let them know I will be there more than once. Some people think it's just an hour's visit.
If that's all they give me, I'll take it. But if you've told them in advance, relationships will be better, and they will be
more likely to turn you on to relatives, neighbors, and friends. (which they will)

Good idea

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
I always just knock on the door and ask permission. If they say no i always say thanks for your time and am polite. But I always keep a few references with me also. I say If your on the fence about it here's a few numbers of peoples houses I have detected feel free to call and ask them about ewhat i'm about. Of course I always ask previous peoples permission before giving out any numbers. Also as always I try to dig nice holes and leave the palce looking as I found it.

Nice idea I know you don't want to make bad impressions people talk.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I offer to let them use my back up machine and join me.I also offer to flip a coin for 1st pick of any finds then alternate untill all divided.Almost never do they hunt with me.one in ten even care about picking anything.several have become friends.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never mention splitting finds or anything like that. Nobody ever seems to care what I find, nor has anyone followed me around and and wanted to pick through my finds. If someone did follow me around and pick through what I found, I'd stop hunting and leave. If splitting finds was brought up, I wouldn't detect the property.

Sure, its their property and they are welcome to keep anything found on it. In that case they can buy a detector and find it themselves. If I found something that belonged to the family or would have sentimental value I would gladly hand it over.

I'm not a greedy person, but I do not tolerate greed from others. The private property that I hunt is mostly around abandoned or unused buildings so generally the property owner is not around when I go out there. If they are its usually just to show me the property and they leave.

I can usually "feel" out the flakes and greedy screwballs when I ask for permission.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
First you display your talent and assure them that you are much desired by the neighbors.
In other words, show them that they might have something to gain and you are a responsible worker.
How do I do this? simply by showing them this 8.5X11 picture. Frank five star.png
A1-   BARBARA'S HOUSE.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread