Doh!! Please kind person allow this guy to help find the tootsie toys!
PS I'm kinda drunk, I'll say something serious about 8 hours from now.![]()
![]()
You'll get a bunch of differing opinions on this subject.
Personally I show them what I find, if they want to keep it, that's fine, I just like finding stuff.
Others may just show the owners some pennies, or hand over a couple Wheaties.
Most of the guys I know are exceptionally greedy and will offer the junk side of their apron.
But always thank them, also dig for more info, maybe neighbors/relatives that maybe you could detect their places also. I've got enough yards lined up to last me till 2088 lol.
Mike
I've made this mistake! If you let them pick? they usually go right for the good stuff. I would too! lol
Some people don't care and never even look or care what you found. Others will follow you around and watch every move. you can even offer to split the finds. That is what I do if they ask. It also kind of depends on the site and what you find too. If it's a historic site and the person takes pride in their historic building, some finds would mean more to them than me. So, situation makes a difference to me. I'm not sure if there is a set rule. Just so when you leave both parties are happy!
That changes with every place sometimes. I detected an old farm house and thought the guy was going to be a pain. I practically begged him to detect it. I told him I would split any finds. As I found stuff I walked over and put it on the car hood, so there was no question in what I was finding. After I was done, he looked, and said he didn't want any of it. So, you never know!
INredneck, if you are granted permission to hunt anyone's home site, that in itself should be respected! Any find that relates to the property should be freely given to the property/home owner. Also, ANY and ALL finds should be at least shown to owner. If permission wasn't initially granted, none of the finds would have occurred.
Peace ✌
Here's my spiel;
After introductions and pleasantries, I get down to it lest they think I'm there for religious or nefarious reasons.
My offer is this:
Do you want to see what I find ?
If you like that, I'll do my research and give you that and the pics of what I find. (or what they may be interested in)
If I find something that would be important to your family and you want it, it's yours.
If I find anything really valuable like a brick of gold, I'll split it with you.
Otherwise, I'll fill all my holes with the plugs I took out to save your grass, remove all the trash I find, and If you have company here (lots of cars)
I'll pass by until another day, and if there's ever any reason you'd rather I not be there that day, please just say,
I don't mind, and I'll be gone until it's OK for you.
This way, you automatically answer most of the questions they may have then or esp. later when they have a chance to think about it.
I also let them know I will be there more than once. Some people think it's just an hour's visit.
If that's all they give me, I'll take it. But if you've told them in advance, relationships will be better, and they will be
more likely to turn you on to relatives, neighbors, and friends. (which they will)
I always just knock on the door and ask permission. If they say no i always say thanks for your time and am polite. But I always keep a few references with me also. I say If your on the fence about it here's a few numbers of peoples houses I have detected feel free to call and ask them about ewhat i'm about. Of course I always ask previous peoples permission before giving out any numbers. Also as always I try to dig nice holes and leave the palce looking as I found it.