Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I couldn’t not sleep finished my work about 2 tried to go to sleep but the brain was on overtime, so I already knew I was going swinging at the break of dawn. Drank a pot of coffee and watching calabash videos and left a hour early to go to the swamps. I hit “honey hole island swamp” again. It amazes me how the only 20x40 shell, palms and roots dry spot out of a 1000 acres of swamp never lets me down. I got a 3 ringer, a Burnside 2 ringer that I’ve never seen before, a nice round ball, what I think might be a heel plate and the only Victory nickel that I ever gotten that wasn’t red it’s beautiful.

Just woke up so back to work and I might be doing this ALL OVER again. Lol I love my crazy life. IMG_2031.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgI found a lot of V nickels last year but this on is my favorite IMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpgThank you for looking

Last edited:
Upvote 38
Great hunt! You need to pound that place before the warm weather. Gators move slow in the cold weather and the maccasins bread in the spring. Rattlesnakes are always dangerous but not in the water. Ticks are already out here so I'm sure they are there as well, bug spray helps with those and the sand nats.

Everything you said is right but I’m not afraid of snakes, gators, hogs we both know our places a space the biggest problem is once it heats up which is soon the swamp takes over and the overgrowth takes over the road basically you’d have to walk the miles and a half on the railroad track and the spot wound be thick as thieves anyway.

Damn I gotta go tell the wife I’m going tomorrow.

Great finds. Can't wait to see what you get when you push the edges of the clearing where the undergrowth has encroached over the years. Old aerial and topographic maps are great tools. I've found an abandoned farm that wasn't there in 1931 ( topo) but was fully established in 1954 ( earliest aerial for my area). Only 2 structures in existence now out of six. If your cemetery was a family plot and not for the parish it won't be far from a homesite.

The homesites are already gone they were 50 yards where the Lake is now. A hurricane wiped out the small German community in 1915 and the lake took over that. (From left to right) There’s lake, big boulders to stop erosion, railroad rocks, railroad tracks, railroad rocks, small shell roadway, then that one spot small high ground in the thick wetlands that’s it.

Might have to learn how to scuba dive this summer. I need to know what out there. A guy told me they had a freak lowtide and he was literally picking up mid/late 1800’s early 1900’s embossed bottles. Now I’d walk the tracks this summer for that. No telling what’s in there. I know it’s early stuff because of that 1840 half dime. The lake is no more that 6ft there. The whole Lake Ponchatrain is only 16ft at it’s deepest.

I think I’m a man on a mission lol

SSSAAAWWWEEEEETTTT!! I'm glad you share your life here with us T!

Great Finds!

Kace

Thank you Kace that kind of you to say. When I find something it funny how you guys pop in my mind. “I can’t wait to show them!!!”

Those are some great finds. Good job.

Hi , Strange moaning coming from the shadows and mist . THE SWAMP THING TP

Dam bro you be getting out a lot can’t wait for spring so I can get out for longer than an hour or 2 hands get cold quick!! Is it just too hot there to search in the summer months? You really have a set to hunt the swamplands,great job

Dam bro you be getting out a lot can’t wait for spring so I can get out for longer than an hour or 2 hands get cold quick!! Is it just too hot there to search in the summer months? You really have a set to hunt the swamplands,great job

Hey ConshyBoy you gotta do it in the winter or you just can’t do it. And I still sweating in our winters. I’ve been raised around all that use to catch water moccasins at the canal when I was 10, so I’m not scared at all of gators or snakes. I’m more scared to go in the hoods in New Orleans and that for real. “You only get shot if you go downtown”- Hank Williams

The rain is what’s pissing me off lately. Our summers are brutal with humidity my northern friend said it’s like breathing in water and he wasn’t use to sweating that much. I told him that swamp ass.....we pound water constantly down here, but yes you’re soaking if you’re digging like I do.

Digging in thick oyster shells like that can be a pain, but man it seems the nickels and coppers come out looking so much better than they do coming out of the soil down here. Put a few crab lines out the next time you’re there!

Digging in thick oyster shells like that can be a pain, but man it seems the nickels and coppers come out looking so much better than they do coming out of the soil down here. Put a few crab lines out the next time you’re there!

That was the prettiest V I ever got normally they’re red that shell soil must keep them nice.

Thanks Al now you have me craving oysters ugggh

Funny you said that...I had 2 dozen raw from Charles Seafood tonight!

It gonna be in my head so I guarantee I get 2 dozen tomorrow. Charles Seafood out in Harahan? Where they salty this year? Haven’t had any yet embarrassed to say.

Yes. They were very good and well priced, < $10 per dozen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back