Pulled the oldest coin ive found so far and its an odd one!

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Working small bits of a permission I've hit hard for a few months trying out different settings on my nox with pretty great success. Today was less productive but still great. Swinging my way out picking up the flags I was using to mark off the section and I got a scratchy mid 20s tone. It was broken but good enough to dig. Flipped the plug and saw this right on top. Thought it was a large flat button until I picked it up. Turned out to be a Haitian Six Centime dated 1846!

Attachments

• 20220410_164612.jpg
    20220410_164612.jpg
    981.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220410_164617.jpg
    20220410_164617.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 33

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Working small bits of a permission I've hit hard for a few months trying out different settings on my nox with pretty great success. Today was less productive but still great. Swinging my way out picking up the flags I was using to mark off the section and I got a scratchy mid 20s tone. It was broken but good enough to dig. Flipped the plug and saw this right on top. Thought it was a large flat button until I picked it up. Turned out to be a Haitian Six Centime dated 1846!
Found a similar coin a few years ago. There is some interesting history about Haitian slaves if you’re ever bored and looking for something to read about. I found this 1854 Haitian Centime in a 1800’s farm field. Yours is the only other one I’ve seen found. Congrats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a similar coin a few years ago. There is some interesting history about Haitian slaves if you’re ever bored and looking for something to read about. I found this 1854 Haitian Centime in a 1800’s farm field. Yours is the only other one I’ve seen found. Congrats.
That's really cool! Yeah it was found on a plantation that was used since the 1820s and likely before.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Legend, Garrett Carrot, Predator Phoenix Shovel, Whites's hand digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great save on a rare coin, wtg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve's Detector Rods