What's new

Pulled the Plug Today

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
This morning at I get a call from American Eagle Federal Credit Union,my main dump bank,where I've been dumping problem free,for the past 13 months.
The call was from some character,calling himself,"The VP". So he asks me do I know how much money I've put through the coin counter? I tell him I could probably figure it out if I had a calculator handy,but since you sound like you already know go ahead and tell me? He lays out the figure and I say "so what".
I'm a customer and I pay, for that privledge by letting you hold on to my savings account, all $62.00.
Now he gets all huffy and puffy and attempts to be intimidating at long distance with someone who has mastered that art and can write a book on it.
He says that all of the bank managers are suspicious of my activities. That his risk management team has been checking me out,because I may be involved in some scheme to defraud the bank.
He alludes that I'm involved in some type of money laundering scheme. I supress a laugh, I supress calling him every name in the book. I'm trying to gage how serious this guy is,if he's pulling a con job,or is nutty enough to believe that I'm some sort of terrorist that he is compelled to report to the authorities. I also have 4k in halves that I have to dump today because Monday is welfare check day.
If he is being serious I don't want to get in the crosshairs of some modern day law enforcement agency whose employees wear ballistic underpants,hands shake with the DT's, and use tazers because they don't have the guts to put their hands on the bad guys(and old ladies). Could be a dangerous and expensive proposition.
So as much as I wanted to be honest with him and call him a DH,I held my tongue,maybe dropping a few barbs that he will catch on to later,and told him, look I have to drop off 4k in halves today, so let me do that and I'll take my laundry elsewhere for now on. He agreed and I dumped the 4k.
There was no way that I could have negotiated,conned,or give a sob story that would have convinced him to allow me to keep dumping, and to tell you the truth I really did not want too.
Now I do have reserve banks,just in case I need them in an emergency,but found out just last night that someone else is using them to dump,and they are already giving him a hard time.
So I closed out the account at my dump bank and my main supply bank,and will hopefully complete closing my bank accounts by next week.
So that's it. Endgame.
I'm not particularly pissed as I've had a good run for the past 23 months. I had fun and now it's over. In fact I'm a bit relieved as the hobby was starting to feel like a job where the thrill is gone.
I will be here on T-Net reading about the great finds. They were always the best part of the hobby as there is nothing to dump :laughing7:
HH
Rich
 
Upvote 0
Dang Rich that stinks. But I can understand your pain with the dumping part. Its been fun watching you pile up the silver on here. Keep checking in cause I am sure there are many dream boxes left out there. Enjoy your hard earned silver.
 
Sorry to hear your CRH days are coming to an end. Give it a year and kick it back up again.

BTW, that manager ended up not saying anything to me... just made me carry the boxes out of the vault because they didn't want to lift them.
 
Rich
By all means join me in dumping on the bank I told you about last night. Therer are branches up by your end that I never go to. Im sure if i dump down here and you dump up north we should be good.
They have been giving me a hard time but I think there are something like 8-10 branches, so there is plenty to go around.
Let me know if you want to do this and il pm a list of the branches I dump at so you can still enjoy mining the white stuff.
-Keith
 
say it ain't so... you can't quit. it is a part time job with the amount you pull...
 
Well, as a newbie I have enjoyed reading your posts. You always seems to come up with some good scores. Not sure I could quit cold turkey though, too addicting. Would like to know your 23 month totals if you don't mind, I'm sure you've found a ton.
 
What the heck dude, tell them you are a collector looking a rare date, and have not found it yet, even after searching that many thousands of dollars. And also threaten to call the president and complain about the VP harrassing you over the phone, etc.

Heck, it's your American right... right?

Well, now it's time to join the forces of the hobbiest coin hunters, like me.. Pennies here, nicles there, rare half dollars there.

You can't, and you won't give it up, for good. I guarantee you.

However, I do have some beef with the big half dollar dumpers in that they tend to give the little guys asking for rolls a bad name.
So , one less big fish out there leaves a bit more food for the little guy.

Lots of love to all the pure intentioned coin hunters out there, and Rich I hope you move into a new fun hobby to find enjoyment in life.

-Fire
 
ugotit22 said:
Rich
By all means join me in dumping on the bank I told you about last night. Therer are branches up by your end that I never go to. Im sure if i dump down here and you dump up north we should be good.
They have been giving me a hard time but I think there are something like 8-10 branches, so there is plenty to go around.
Let me know if you want to do this and il pm a list of the branches I dump at so you can still enjoy mining the white stuff.
-Keith

Keith,
Thanks for the offer but I closed the account at our bank. It's a done deal. I am looking forward to that MDing expedition next month though :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich
 
Ltrain said:
Sorry to hear your CRH days are coming to an end. Give it a year and kick it back up again.

BTW, that manager ended up not saying anything to me... just made me carry the boxes out of the vault because they didn't want to lift them.

Glad to hear that's all they wanted. It's what I used to do. If others are ordering from that bank,buy yourself a pair of 200 power reading glasses for when you go in the vault. Check the holes in the boxes for enders and leave the rest behind :laughing7:
HH
Rich
 
I know the feeling I have been getting dirty looks lately and especially when they have to empty the bag when i fill it full of halves! I resorted to sending my wife and now my co-workers. They say the tellers give them looks too, but give them an excuse and don't show up twice a week! I sure this will all end in a year or two a few banks will figure it out and charge everybody like the supermarkets. I called one bank near and asked if they had coin machine and was given a quick "no" over the phone. I walked there 15 minutes later because I felt suspicious of her quick reply, sure enough big as day one was there.
So they won't tell you over the phone, since I think they know why people are calling and they really want it as a courtesy for their real customers.
 
Sorry to hear you pulling the plug.I enjoy reading your posts,maybe just take a break and jump back into the game at some later date?.Best of Luck!!
 
Shoulda let him babble and tell him any decision he makes you want in writing and until then business as usual.
On a personal note i appreciate the advice you gave.
Like "is your ex ok to date " are your ex hunting grounds ok to hunt? LOL
 
i am not far behind you rich. i was going to hang in there until the end of the year with the hopes it will pick up. had my best month ever last december. maybe there will be some cashed in this year for the holidays. if i continue to keep getting these skunk rolls i am going to hang it up.
 
Best of luck Rich, I've been spending time buying silver coin more than than I've been chr'ing, although I will probably always be searching rolls. Just bought 9 decent mixed date seated halves for $22 ea, for numismatic reasons only! Good luck if you decide to go buying.
 
Won't be long till all the banks want to charge fees anyways. I'm gonna keep playing as long as its free, besides I haven't found my gold coin (not Kennedy) in a roll yet, haha. You should order some more boxes now to spend, every time I just threaten to quit the Silver gods give ME a nice score to set the hook again, with you actually closing accts they may throw you a dream box or two.
HH Mark
 
Rich,
Sorry to hear about your bank dilema. Just back off for a little while and get back into it again. We always enjoy your posts and you have been very good at scoring big time. If you still decide to drop out for a while, let's open that bar I mentioned to you in your post last night. We can call it "The Coin Roller" and give "half" price to anyone who pays in silver coins. You're a good man, Charlie Brown, and I'll miss your posts.
All the best to you.
rileyboy and "Riley" Ruff....Ruff
 
Say it isn't so!

I'm riding the dime wave for as long as I can. I'm glad I got in when I did and I do not expect the free coin counters to last indefinitely.

HH,
cuttybce
 
Hey Rich - sounds like it is for real this time. You had a good run. Maybe take a little break then come back in the spring! Can't do this forever though.

Maine_Jim
 
quiksilver said:
Shoulda let him babble and tell him any decision he makes you want in writing and until then business as usual.
On a personal note i appreciate the advice you gave.
Like "is your ex ok to date " are your ex hunting grounds ok to hunt? LOL

I haven't been on a road trip since Oct.2009
HH
Rich
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom