Purchasing first Metal Detector

GerBear

Aug 2, 2007
My Son has wanted to buy a metal detector for sometime, and I will admit I have always had an interest in checking out the hobby as well. I have been doing some research on the many metal detectors available for beginners and the choices are overwhelming. I did find a guy in town who is selling a Bounty Hunter TR550 D for $50.00. I have done some research via the web and cannot find any information on this make and model metal detector. Does anyone have any input regarding this metal detector and would anyone recommend this for a beginner? Is this a fair price? I am willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars but if I can check out the hobby for 50.00 that would be great.

Thanks for any input,

Gerry

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
My friend, rent one first, then make your decision.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a couple of hundred the Ace 250 would be a great deal. I really like mine. It might be hard to get a real good feel for it over a trip or two. You might hit a spot someone has beat to death and not find much. It would be real good if you could get some advice about where to use it in your area. Heck, I've been at this for over 30 yrs and I hit a spot today that someone had just barely beat me to. I saw the fresh signs. I wish you the best of luck.

DANGLANGLEY

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
The Ace 250 let me down :( Maybe I just got a malfunctioning unit...I dunno. My bet would be on the White's Prizm II.

cyeager

Feb 20, 2007
ACE 250 + Sniper coil
Sniper a must....

There are a few MODs that are excellent! [I installed the trigger switch]
: Trigger toggle switch like Whites.... (Nice for plastic scoop scanning and all metal)
: Backlight for night...
: Rear audio plug...

"Warranteeee goneee if any of these are performed."
P.S. Soldering required...

OP
OP
G

GerBear

Aug 2, 2007
Thanks for all the terrfic information. I found the Garrett 250 model on the web for 212.00 after shipping and handling 237.00 which is within my budget. I also found a locale dealer were I live in Colorado so I will see what his prices are.

Thanks again!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I have the Ace 250 and am very impressed and for under $200 I doubt your going to get a better buy!! I think, unfortunately if you buy that $50 detector, I really don't think you'll be happy. IF you are willing, then spend the $200 bucks and be impressed with the Ace!!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
GerBear said:
Thanks for all the terrfic information. I found the Garrett 250 model on the web for 212.00 after shipping and handling 237.00 which is within my budget. I also found a locale dealer were I live in Colorado so I will see what his prices are.

Thanks again!

Look at Ebay and you can get one for under $200, check with some sponsor's of TNet and you might find a good deal there too!! Good Luck!!

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
No idea about that model of BH...but I've got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV I'd give you for $70 plus $15 for shipping. I've done well with it--a decent beginner one.

Honestly though, I'm upgrading to an Ace 250, so if you're willing to spend $200 or so you can get one of those instead of the BH.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Okay, I will be the sound of opposition. As an owner of an ACE250, I would say, check around and find a better used machine. If you really like the hobby, you will want so much more than the ACE in 2 months. A used Whites Spectrum (eagle or xlt), Minelab Soverign or similar machine.

If you really decide to go with the ACE, but one used for $150-175, you will get that back out of it when you sell it. And if you get the better machine now, if you don't like the hobby, you will get your money back when you sell. These things only drop so far in value.

The only benefit to the ACE is you will have a somewhat decent back up if you need it later.

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just recently purchased a Tesoro Silver uMax for my 1st machine and it works great. It's very light (about 4 lbs i believe) and finds coins great. Good for beginners because all you have to do is put in the battery, set the sensitivity and discrimination levels and your ready to go. With some machines you have to set ground leveling and different stuff thats hard to do for a beginner. I got mine for around 260 from http://www.dixie-metal-detectors.com/ and it only took about 5 days to get here (WV) from Mississippi.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
GerBear, I think I could probably beat $237 shipped to Colorado on the ACE 250 (at least if you wait a few days until our free shipping special kicks in), but try hooking up with a local club and trying a few different models before you decide on any one. There are club listings on here if you click around a bit.

Best of luck!

mark43

Apr 8, 2007
Peru, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 whites m6
go to kellyco.com and check out their prices...i got my ace 250 from them...222.00.....thats the total price with s&h included...plus they give u extra stuff with it...where as other places that sell the same detector just give u the detector...im not dissappointed at all....good luck in your quest for a md........hope this helps...

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
GB, I don't own a Ace 250 so I'm no help there. However, most of the people on T-net that have them seem very happy with them. Stay away from the 50 buck stuff, You won't be happy with them and you'll find that in no time you and your son will be looking for a new hobby. By the way the Tesoro U-Max line of detectors only weigh in at 2.3 pounds and have life time warranties with them. Which ever way you go, Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Desertfox

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
look around for a a used minelab sovereign (sovereign, sovereign xs, sovereign xs2,etc.,basically same macine)and you will not be disappointed.machine is deep,can handle any ground condition including wet saltwater sand at beach.best part is if you don't enjoy hobby you can resell for probably what you paid for it.you should be able to find nice unit for aroun$350. there are many websites with info on this machine. to see what others think of this detector and many others go to www.metaldetectorreviews.net ....good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread