eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Purple Paint' law goes into effect Sunday - WISH

So it looks like Indiana is implementing a purple paint law... I'm wonder if there is no purple paint and a no trespassing sign is everything else fair game?

My front yard doesn't have a no trespassing sign or purple paint can someone just have a picnic on my front lawn.

Seems like it should be the other way around.

Upvote 0
Trespassing is trespassing... On purple paint you can be arrested if you trespass, if not mark your asked to leave, if you refused you can then be arrested for trespassing.

Not sure about other states, but here in VA if land is not posted you need oral permission at a minimum from the landowner to be on it. If it's posted then you must have written permission.

Private property rights vary.
In ethical concerns (like metal detecting ,hunting ect.) it is the responsibility of the non landowner to know where the borders are.
If you or the state or government do not own it AND allow use of it ....Someone else does.
Permission is required.
That's why there is no stranger hosting a yardsale at your place today.
Purple paint law would be nice where I am.
Wind and weather is hard on signs. Besides ,purple paint law is established elsewhere as a common sign.

If land is posted with signs post purple paint law the answer should be obvious. Unless posted trespass welcomed.

I see this makes sense now. Thanks Relic nut

Idaho is strict about trespassing. If the property is obviously private ie; tilled, or crops growing on it, you must have written permission to be on it. If the boundaries are marked with orange paint, you have to have written permission to be on it. I don't remember how often it has to be marked. But landowners often post in a way that indicates private ownership without it being owned, as in...lets say a public road goes through someone's land. They can put a "Private Property" sign on the gate. That scares a lot of people away from going on down the road, which they are entitled to do. Ranchers do it deliberately and are rarely prosecuted. And, if they are prosecuted, the fines are much less than the fines for trespassing. Fortunately for us that live here, we have millions of acres of public land to use so don't have to worry about trespassing very much.
Jim

Interesting.

Hereabouts private property is "No Tresspassing" by default and without the owner's permission you are trespassing.

And do you know why they use purple paint? It's so color blind people can see it too.

Trespassing is trespassing... On purple paint you can be arrested if you trespass, if not mark your asked to leave, if you refused you can then be arrested for trespassing.
Most places will enforce either way. Some places like Arizona you can ask the person to leave your property, then call PD to have them formally trespassed. If they come back after that, jail & fine. In Arizona & California (these I can vouch for, the rest = ???) after you ask them to leave several times you can remove them from the property using reasonable force. In Arizona, you can detain them even at gunpoint till PD shows up. As far as trespass goes we used to tell people when asked "If you step off the side of the road or street, you're trespassing because someone owns the property."

Don't know if still true, but in Phoenix if you call PD be prepared to wait around 40 minutes for them to show up.

And do you know why they use purple paint? It's so color blind people can see it too.

I'm "color deficient" and have a problem with light blue and purple all running together to white or gray.

A couple of uninvited Hooligans put up a tree stand and cut a few trees on my property last year. Now my land is posted. In Pennsylvania we use signs. In NYC they use purple paint to mark The Gay Pride Parade route.

There is quite a lot of land marked with purple in Penna. It's becoming more common then signs.

here in Texas there is some trees marked purple

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back