What's new

Puttin out an APB on my RTG at CWB - 6/26 Beach Silver

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Messages
1,264
Reaction score
705
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself and a Pal hit CWB for a few hours today after the rains. Tide was a wee bit low and decided to hit the outter sand bar against my better judgement ... Sure enough, over stayed my welcome, tide was in, water was deep, had to make the long swim back to shore.

As I start the initial swim, the boot decides its going to come off. Great. I venture back to the bar, off the other boot, and tie them both up in the headphones and off I go again. I'm doing the back stroke in, bout half way im running outta air, choking down water, massive wave overtakes me, down I go, into the gut goes about 2 gals of seawater - yummy. I resurface, choking, gasping for air, try and continue onward, when overtook by another wave, down I go again and this time, lost the grasp on my RTG scoop. Too panicked to look for it at that point, and it didnt wash back in --- Somewhere behind the sand pearl / hilton area, if you come across it, help a damn-near-drowned Dew get his RTG back.

Prior to all that fun, I did muster up a Silver ring with lots of fake bling (6g) and a small toe ring.

Happy Hunting - And stay safe. It can happen to anyone.
 

Attachments

  • 0626 001.webp
    0626 001.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 660
  • 0626 002.webp
    0626 002.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0
Have been out several times, no joy as of yet. I'm thinking a tourist has since found it. With the neg tide cycle we're on it would have been easily found. Ah well. Bummer for me. Copped a new one couple of days ago back to pounding on the surf once again. Looking forward to the holiday drops!
 
Maybe you'll find it yet DG! Mind you, with all the flipping bling YOU find, that scoop was paid for in 1894! :laughing7: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
I've never minded being a small guy, (135 - 140lbs soaking wet), until I realized that I simply can't hold my ground in the pounding east coast surf, even when it's not that bad. I take it most of you guys are pretty stout, you lucky dogs! Anyway, glad to hear another one made it back to shore safe and sound. :thumbsup:
 
mcscs said:
After a few trips you don't even notice it's on. PFD
you wear a seat belt on the way to the beach.




http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP81117944.htm?bct=;ciinflatable-pfds

there are a lot of cheaper ones available I've seen good quality for as low as $75 with co2 cartridge

The most sensible advice to be found on Treasurenet.com!
Amazes me that so many experienced water detectorists and even non-swimmers will venture out into water above waist deep and believe they're totally safe! Mishaps happen as we all know, and many of us are getting on in years too..try having a mild heart attack, a stroke, or even bad cramp in waist deep water!
Common sense really?

In the water i use 2 arm lengths of thin orange nylon cord tied to my scoop, and a snap clip on the other end that just clips onto my belt or even a belt loop in your shorts. Means i can swim and not lose it or if the worst comes to the worst...just unclip it quickly and drop it. Same goes for the detector really, although i don't because the seas here are fairly shallow and mostly calm. In rough weather...i don't go in. Simple! :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom