Puzzled by find

U

ubersearcher

Hello Everyone,

I found this in a park by a river and have absolutely no idea as to what it might be. My father said the one end looked like the same pattern as a file or a rasp. I just got back into the hobby, so please be easy on me if it is a little more obvious than what I think.

Description: the top has the initials C.R. on it and there appears to be more writing on the top front. The bottom end looks like it has a diamond pattern of some sort. The object is embedded in rock (?) or something and is about half an inch long and about 1/3 of an inch wide.

Thanks for any help,
Chris from Ohio (ubersearcher)

OP
OP
U

ubersearcher

Thanks for the tip, blazen70. I just tried the magnet and the material surrounding the object (what the object is embedded in) is not attracted to a magnet. Yeah, this one has me pretty much stumped.

Chris from Ohio (ubersearcher)

Upvote 0

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pewter/silver

looks like a pewter fitting or silver/lead, pretty common turn of the century in Tack and decorative carriage material, I would say that it has been through a fire, most of the piece is melted and seated the portion remaining within itself, hard to identify , but if I had to take a stab, I would say, decorative inner core from a bit for a horse. Like i said, just a guess, Chris

Upvote 0

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fred

Hiya fred, yep, got the truck all fixed up, lol. Had the heater core go last weekend as well, Easy fix, funny, last season no trouble all year, truck didnt cost me a nickle in repairs, this year already the Transfer case and Heater core, oh well, beat the heck out of it and if thats all I can break on her, it will make me a happy guy.

Upvote 0

david

Nov 23, 2003
I agree with tbear the depression on the steel part ( right side ) would indicate a set scew for a knob ? to attach. Found a lot of pewter in this same fire condition.Off hand i would say from the mid 1850's . This type of find is an good indicator for a hotspot. Enjoy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread