Puzzling Artifacts

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
We have been finding some very puzzling artifacts in a remote area in south central Alabama that has not been previously known for the type of things we are finding.

Among them are copper spearpoints, copper knives and copper beads that are identical to the Copper Complex artifacts.
Also found among these items are very detailed and intricate bannerstones and greenstone gorgets and celts. There is no mound or any other significant Native American artifice in the vicinity.

I have been searching and trying to find any evidence of copper weaponry being found in the southeast, and so far have come up with nothing. These are not the same type of copper artifacts found in Moundsville, Lake Jackson or Etowah. There is no pottery on or around the site, even though we have also found hundreds of flint and stone projectile points. We have found stone mortars and possibly cooking bowls, which dates the site to pre-pottery, which is most likely late Archaic or early Woodland.

I would like some direction as to any copper finds in the southeast that are not indicative of Mississippian Culture or associated with the Southeast Ceremonial Complex. I was involved in the excavation of the Lake Jackson burial mound, so I am very familiar with that type and style. This is something completely different and thousands of years older.

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't offer any help but those are some awesome finds ..... Is this from digging/ excavation of an area or surface finds? Also could you post more pics maybe of the many points you have found it may help determine a timeline.

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is rather controversial but the Old Copper Complex refers to Wisconsin down to TVA in Tennessee. But it looks looks a rat tail spear point you found. The link has knife blanks that look like yours as well. You may have a important site that we will be reading about in the future. Nice finds!!

copperculture

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There have been some classic Great Lakes copper items found at Poverty Point in Louisiana, probably items that were obtained through indirect trade vs direct trade.

The shell hammers throw me off a bit. They make sense in coastal areas where stone isn't common, but I don't know why someone would bother transporting them inland. Almost any rock would make a better hammer.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True that. A very strange assortment of artifacts to be found on one site. You mentioned finding hundreds of points. When you have time, some pictures of those points might help to better understand the site. Keep us up to snuff as things develop.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful amount of finds. I would say I was jealous but just getting to see them without all the work to get them makes it all better.....Congrats!!!!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Your finds are truly spectacular and of great interest. It may be time to have some professional guidance as to the excavation of your site. There is a history of copper objects all through the lower Appalachian chain from the earliest to more recent cultures that are not the same as what comes from Mich, and native copper deposits are known from Alabama. The copper can be tested and its origin discovered.
Still the artifacts you have discovered are extremely rare in association with the other objects you have found and through your diligence and expertise you may have exposed/discovered some little known culture that definitely needs further research and excavation. Kudos to you!!!!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I have not looked at this but it may be of interest to you.
[h=4]Mississippian Copper Artifacts from Arkansas by Jeffery M. Mitchum[/h]

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
Hey tony, I live close to the area I believe you are finding the relics. I would love to hear about the mounds at lake Jackson, and other local history you have been uncovering. I live in the lower part of coffee county. Message me, we may can share some history and techniques.

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking stuff Tonykidd! Wow! You really have some nice artifacts and I can only imagine the work, perseverance and patience that you have put into locating these finds. My hope is, as you learn more about the site and educate yourself more that you are able to show and teach others with this newly found knowledge!:icon_study::read2::newbie:

Finding various points, a piece of pottery or maybe a small tool for some of us is one thing....HOWEVER...to find ancient copper artifacts seriously takes it to a whole other level and an exciting one at that!!:hello2::headbang:

Congrats again and please post more pics and information when you can, good luck and be well!

Bernitup :icon_sunny:

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would concur that the age of the copper artifacts you found predates the ceramic period in NW FL. No associated mound and no ceramic artifacts would coincide with an earlier culture like the Archaic culture and the archaeologists assessment seems valid. As you are familiar with the riveted, embossed, copper plates found at Lake Jackson, you know that a different technology was utilized in making those wares. On a side note, Calvin Jones gave me the Lake Jackson Papers. I'm not sure if they were ever published.

It seems most plausible that you have discovered a Northern band of copper utilizing peoples that migrated to the deep South. Seasonal migrations occurred much more often in the less sedentary Archaic peoples but they often don't yield many significant finds due to the small amount of time the people stayed in one location. Your site must have held some significance and possibly a yearly or seasonal migration. That would be considered rare for a Northern band of people to move so far south.

I find it strange that the shell hammers are found at the site. Most inland sites in NW FL are too acidic to yield shell artifacts beyond 1000 years. I'm not sure about central AL but i would suspect that you have a site that is not acidic or those shell hammers do not date back to the Archaic period. A lot to think about on that site. Nice finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That's great about Calvin! He became a great family friend due to our avocational practices. We actually introduced him to the landowner who owned the Lake Jackson burial mound after we had excavated 7 of the burials on our own. It was a different era, and we were allowed to keep all of the burial goods. It is quite an amazing collection.
The "shell hammers" were actually part of an ornamental tunic or blanket, according to an archaeologist. They were woven onto some sort of fabric and not utilized as tools, which lends toward trade. Shells are very prevalent at this site, which has very sandy soil which is very preservative. Coupled with the copper salts, many of the items have been well preserved that would otherwise have deteriorated long ago.
On it's face, the site makes no sense. The items are completely unrelated and normally not located in the same region, never mind location. There is no significant water source or geographical feature that would pinpoint this site. Experts are telling us that this clan specialized in trade, and was very proficient at obtaining some really unique items. Still wrapping our heads around it all!

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
An archaeologist told us that they aren't shell hammers at all, but ornaments from a tunic or blanket that has long since deteriorated. The soil in the area has preserved many items that would have long deteriorated but for that and copper salts. We've found plenty of stone hammers and nutting stones so I'm pretty sure the shells were ornamental. We even found a shell pipe and shell gorget, which is pretty cool.

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Tony,
What archaeologist are you working with? Is it a university if so where? I would love to see the research papers on this site.
Is this the same site where you found the long point you posted today?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread