PVC Caches

Prodigalson

Dec 11, 2006
My father was a physician who bought large quantities of PCGS slabbed coins then carefully packed them in 4" x 24" PVC pipe to be buried. Having handeled some myself, I believe them to weigh 35lbs on average. Since these could be buried between 5 and 8ft in depth, what sort of detector should be used? He also had between fifteen and twenty $1000.00 face value bags of silver coinage which would have been buried also., but these are only worth a fraction of the numismatics.

P,

interesting.

Sorry that he never told you where it was
located. That is a shame.

Best of luck in your search.

Welcome to the board.

have a good un.........

Prodigalson said:
My father was a physician who bought large quantities of PCGS slabbed coins then carefully packed them in 4" x 24" PVC pipe to be buried. Having handeled some myself, I believe them to weigh 35lbs on average. Since these could be buried between 5 and 8ft in depth, what sort of detector should be used? He also had between fifteen and twenty $1000.00 face value bags of silver coinage which would have been buried also., but these are only worth a fraction of the numismatics.

About a year and a half ago someone here was claiming they had a dog that could sniff out PVC caches, and they were willing to demonstrate it. This sounds like the perfect doggy challenge. I don't remember who that was, though.

DANO & YOGI ;D

CACHEHNTR said:
yep i believe it was Dano and his pooch........ ;D

Then let's let loose the dogs of war and put this pooch to the test. Since no one volunteered, I'll take on the responsibility of making book for this undertaking. 5% vig on all bets and the starting line as of the time stamp on this post is 3:2 in favor of the dog. ;D ;D ;D ;D

(just kidding Mr. Revenuer Man. It would be wrong to gamble... ;D ;D ;D ;D

There's so many questions to be asked, I won't even start. True cache hunting is more of a mental game than a metal detector game. Why do you think they would be buried 5-8 feet deep. That's a SERIOUS hole to dig.

TD

I have seen a dog fetch up a handful of keys, thrown into a field bringing back every last one, We used to throw peoples keys out there as a joke and then have the dog bringem back, The one time, the key chain broke, upon slinging them. We all kinda werent sure, and the keys owner was pretty upset, but with every command of "fetch it up" Red dog brought another key back, untill all were returned. A metal detecting dog, Hmmmmmmm.

A good pusle induction metal detector will most likely be your best choice. The one meter square coil will easily go that deep even in mineralized ground. Even with an eighteen inch coil you can detect a railroad spike at a measured three feet deep. It's rather unlikely that the coins were buried eight feet. Even most gas powered augers are going to have trouble with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back