What's new

PVC Sand Scoop

TheCaribbeanDigger

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
600
Reaction score
753
Golden Thread
0
Location
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey people and HH! Just wanted to show my new custom built (by me😁) sand scoop made out of PVC tubing! Cost me everything $18 bucks and 40 min of my time! Can't wait to test it out!
 

Attachments

  • image-1677810750.webp
    image-1677810750.webp
    124.9 KB · Views: 768
  • image-2240212610.webp
    image-2240212610.webp
    96.8 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
It will break quickly in the wet sand but should do very well in the dry sand. Good Luck!
 
Terry wright ,Good for dry sand ,bad for wet sand !! Wait until you hit some shell ??
 
nice concept but
will shatter in the cold
pvc gets brittle in the cold and
abs warps in the sun
HH
 
Yeah I might not hold up, that's why they make them metal

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Exactly my friends. I made it for dry sand conditions. I'm currently looking for an aluminum version. This one is for getting started only! ;)
 
F2, for dry sand only the $57.95 wire mesh scoop that RTG sells is great for quick screening without as much effort as the ones with round holes in them.
http://www.rtgstore.com/rtg/701.jpg
 
F2, for dry sand only the $57.95 wire mesh scoop that RTG sells is great for quick screening without as much effort as the ones with round holes in them.
http://www.rtgstore.com/rtg/701.jpg

Yes, that I almost bought. But honestly I'd pay more and get an aluminum or stainless steel version for like 100-140$.
 
I use the RTG Pro mini scoop $99 in wet sand and like that it's not so heavy when scooping and dumping wet sand.
 
Yes, that I almost bought. But honestly I'd pay more and get an aluminum or stainless steel version for like 100-140$.

yeah, get you the best you can afford, nothing beats a quality scoop! good luck
 
Just used it today on a late afternoon beach hunt that quickly turned into a night hunt! Nothing great, just $2.16 in clad, 2 modern buttons and like a 100 or so in pull tabs. You know you gotta dig up those pull tab signals :) but the scoop worked flawlessly! In the dry sand that is!
 
Right on! Hey, whatever works till you can get yourself a scoop that will dig anywhere your detector wants to go. Nice design with the plumbing!
 
Right on! Hey, whatever works till you can get yourself a scoop that will dig anywhere your detector wants to go. Nice design with the plumbing!

Thanx! Detecting at night is awesome. There was a big light that kept the beach lid like a freakin ball park! So no heat from the sun. I could have been there till the batteries ran dead on my ATP! :) But I had to work the day after u know! If I have the time today I'll be hitting a nice spot were there are some early 1800's ruins...could be older I think. I'll post some pics later!
 
Everyone is right on using a metal scoop so your ready for wet or dry sand. I have used many and RPG makes nice scoops. here is a pic of the dry sand scoop I like as you can push it into the sand with your foot. Beachmaster.webpIts called the Beachmaster.:thumbsup: But for wet sand and water hunting you'll need a high quality scoop and there is none better than the Sunspot Stealth. Stealth beach scoop
720i Sunspot.webpComes in two sizes and different configurations for what you want. You can even get a fiber handle.
We know you will get in the water sometime, may as well have a scoop for it.
 
Last edited:
Nothing like a good night hunt watching the sun come up, nobody around you..the sound your scoop makes as you push into the fresh sparkling morning sand, shinning in your stainless steel scoop. With the sound of calm lapping water renewing and gently cleansing the shoreline..,you know it's going to be a great day!! HH!
 
Hey people just wanted to ask this. I'm planning on buying one of these 2 scoops. Of the 2 which one will handle better in long term durability. Both are RTG's, aluminum and 5" diameter buckets on both but one is 7" long and the other is 9" long! I'll be using it on dry sand and on wet sand/water hunts. I'd say 90% of beaches I usually hunt are free of rocks. So opinions are more than welcome! Highest budget is 120! The 5x9" I could get it like for 118 shipped and the 5x7" like 98 shipped....
 

Attachments

  • image-740433014.webp
    image-740433014.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2893216712.webp
    image-2893216712.webp
    3 KB · Views: 103
I would go with the 5/9 RTG. It has an angled handle where the other scoop is straight up and down. You will find that the angled handle scoops are better when you're having to dig deeper holes. Also this one is more of a solid design.
 
I also like the angled handle. I have never used a 90 degree but seems like you would have to lean over quite a bit to dig a deeper hole
 
If you are going to be in the water you may want something a bit bigger. One option to consider is a RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP. This scoop is widely used, good size, light, and strong (although being aluminum it is more subject to wear and tear than a stainless steel equivalent).

Sandman mentioned the Sunspot Stealth which is another popular option to consider. A few days ago I ordered a Sunspot Stealth 720i with hybrid holes and carbon fiber handle - can't wait to try it out.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom