Q. - about depth?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
With the rods crossed on the target inch away from it. The rods will open but keep inching away...The rods will close again...measure back to the target...that is the depth...Art
Depth.jpg

OP
OP
pearl54

pearl54

Apr 20, 2012
mo.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the rods crossed on the target inch away from it. The rods will open but keep inching away...The rods will close again...measure back to the target...that is the depth...Art
View attachment 847283
Thanks! Its a cave or crevice. Does it still work like that? I should have mentioned that.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
When trying to find out how deep a cave is I use Mental Dowsing..I also like to know how deep the top of the cave is.....How deep is this cave, is it 10 feet deep, is it 9 feet deep etc...Someone else may have other methods....Art

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When trying to find out how deep a cave is I use Mental Dowsing..I also like to know how deep the top of the cave is.....How deep is this cave, is it 10 feet deep, is it 9 feet deep etc...Someone else may have other methods....Art

Art, Can you explain mental dowsing and give an example that I could try. I would like to try it but also would like to know what kind of situations are appropriate to mental dowsing. Is there a recommended information source or reference material? Thanks

OP
OP
pearl54

pearl54

Apr 20, 2012
mo.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres whats happening - at a certain spot they cross and stay crossed for about 5ft, then open to the outside. Gradually they come back to center. Always the same thing in the same spot. I thought maybe it meant when crossed I had enter the crevice/cave and when they opened to outside I was leaving it. I tried inching away like Art suggested but they don't recross. I don't understand why they open to the outside. Haven't been able to find info on it.
Okie - what do you mean by sealed bottle.
thanks P.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 847283

ART: I thought you once said that when checking for depth, after your rods cross over the target, you back away until the rods open and are parallel to each other. At that point, measure back to where they were crossed and that is the depth.

Les.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Once I have located my target, I stand over it and ask the rods;

"Is the depth between zero and one foot? If no response, then;
Is the depth between one and three feet? If no response, then:
Is the depth between three and five feet? BINGO! The rods cross, which means a yes!

This has always worked for me!

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once I have located my target, I stand over it and ask the rods;

"Is the depth between zero and one foot? If no response, then;
Is the depth between one and three feet? If no response, then:
Is the depth between three and five feet? BINGO! The rods cross, which means a yes!

This has always worked for me!

Thanks bed. Simple method. I'll have to give it a try.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Thanks bed. Simple method. I'll have to give it a try.

Which is it, a cave or a crevice? Big difference! And are you standing inside the cave or crevice, or above it?
What I told you is if you are standing ABOVE the target. I may be confused.???

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedrock = But if you are standing over target wouldn't your rods be crossed already? How would that work. I had a challenge the other day to find someones sewage pipes. I did it, 3 times exact spot. But they did not uncross for 6'. Now we know pipe is not 6' wide I wonder why they took so long to uncross and what does that mean?

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of a cave - how do your rods act inside of a cave. just wondering if having the magnetic field (lets say) of the earth enclosing you affects how you rods respond?

OP
OP
pearl54

pearl54

Apr 20, 2012
mo.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art, if you don't mind me asking? What kind of rods do you use in the field? Oh wait I may have seen picture of you using copper? Can't remember where I saw that. OK with that being said do you think all rods are the same.or maybe one type works better than other?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I use 3/16 brass....I have tried many different rods...I don’t know why I prefer the 3/16 rods because they are heavy...Art

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Each kind of rods you use have their own frequency response, depending upon the material they are made of. So changing rods means you have to tune in to its frequency, which will be somewhat different. Its best to stick with what you are experienced with.

Also, the length of rods is important. For long distance locating I use a 30" pair of copper rods. This applies to the length of pendulums as well. A short pendulum works for map dowsing, and a longer one works for field dowsing, and the length has everything to do with what you are looking for.

widomanmx

Banned
Dec 6, 2013
Chihuahua (mx)
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3
Deepers
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
aarthrj3811 method its for big object => X---X---X, when its small i cant detect exterior field only "center" => X
lesjcbs method its easy, but you have to practice with distances to "program mind" (ask objects dimensions: large, height)

The length of rod its important because you are using an antenna.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread