Quartz pre-form, tool, or just a rock?

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one today. I am on the fence about it. The shape looks about right, but it is very thick and unrefined on the sides. Is it a preform or just an act of nature??? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Quigi

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not the best for antiquities, but i do know a bit about geology and my guess is just a rock. There's also no flaking or any kind of suspect marks...I could be wrong though. Someone with better knowledge will say something soon.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was something at 1 time it isnt much now. They did use that brittle quartz if they couldnt find nothing else but its just to far gone to give a proper I.D. on it now. Its up to you if you wish to keep it. I would use it as a study piece and put it on a shelf for now then after a year or so go back and look at it again. You might see something you missed or you might see it as a totally different thing. My 1st year was tough but after a few since then I cant see why I even picked some up and carried them home. I had a depression in my back yard and used most of my 1st years finds as a filler for it :)

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shape does not make it an artifact, you have to look at other things, was it knapped, is it broken. Rock is giving you some good advice.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was something at 1 time it isnt much now. They did use that brittle quartz if they couldnt find nothing else but its just to far gone to give a proper I.D. on it now. Its up to you if you wish to keep it. I would use it as a study piece and put it on a shelf for now then after a year or so go back and look at it again. You might see something you missed or you might see it as a totally different thing. My 1st year was tough but after a few since then I cant see why I even picked some up and carried them home. I had a depression in my back yard and used most of my 1st years finds as a filler for it :)

Great advice! In my house we affectionately call them "garden rocks". I have quite the rock garden and a couple of nice artifacts too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions