question about a possible counterfeit bill

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey folks, while dumping some coins today, i got back a few $50 bills in change, one of them discolored, worn and even ripped in the center. This $50 bill is of series 1996.

I was wondering if the bill is fake... when I hold it up to the light, there is a very faint description of Grant's watermark to the right and an even fainter(barely recognizeable) security strip that says USA50 alternating up and down(the usual security strip format)...
I was wondering if it is even possible for counterfeiters to be able to reproduce the watermark on a counterfeit bill, and if so, is there a chance myu bill is fake?
Upon further examination, the bill does show a few blue and red security threads scattered out throughout the bill, but not many at all.
Thanks,
hh
buff

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
turn it in for replacement ay a bank --being its so "damaged" -- then you will know for sure

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my guess it's real. just be careful when spending it.
don't ask if they think it's counterfeit .

the smart answer you may get back is "Yes, we need to confiscate it" :laughing9:

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks folks, I am starting to think it is a real bill, though it doesn't really feel like a normal $50 bill, it has the features to prove otherwise, the lower right hand corner of the bill goes have that "glitter" imbedded in the $50, but is very faint, worn and somewhat damaged. The bill itself feels brittle almost like it was left outside in the elements as well.

do you suggest I go to spend it on my coin boxes i have for pickup this week mixed in with other bills without saying anything?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's how you got it,

that's what I'd do

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is clearly a bad bill anyway in regards to condition, an eyesore for the teller who will be counting my bills(it caught my eye immediately when I got home today), but we'll see... i just hope it's not a bad bill. I won't say anything though... especially since i got it from another bank, chances are it had to pass their "currency counting" machines which also have built-in counterfeit detectors as well, i believe.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
The fakes use washed out lower denom notes which are printed over with a higher denom. i.e. a $5 bill gets washed and overprinted with a $50. That way it is still the real deal as far as the proper paper and even has the security strip (albeit for the lower denom). They can't fake the strip but most people won't have eyes clear enough to read it, only see that it is in there.

My Boy Scout troop received a fake $50 at a bake sale, and last year someone tried passing a fake $100 at our yard sale. Hence the education in the technique.

Rascal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread