What's new

Question About Beach Detecting This Summer (Beach Newbie)

kleinerschmitter

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
439
Reaction score
1,063
Golden Thread
0
Location
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Everyone,

I've got a couple of questions. I'm going to be down in Rockport, TX a lot this summer but I've never beach detected before. I have a Garrett Ace 250, therefore, I know getting in the water and detecting will be out of the question. However, what's the best way to go about this, gridding a section of dry beach and then repeating and just getting out as much as possible? Also, how many targets do you think I'm going to find on shore vs. what I'd be able to find in the water?
 
Upvote 0
The only way you will be able to hunt the wetsand is to turn the sensitivity way down, unfortunately you will lose a lot of the depth when you do that and you will be restricted to very recent drops....

Hunting the dry sand you will run into a lot of trash, pulltabs, cigarette packages, can slaw, aluminum foil, bottle caps and so own, you also find this in the wetsand and water, but no where even close to what you find in the dry sand.....

There is no way to tell how may targets you will find...
If your going to be there a lot this summer, if it was me I would consider getting a good used beach machine, it would only take a couple good finds to pay for it too....

Good luck....
 
I second what Treasure_Hunter suggested. Particularly if you think you will spend a lot of time hunting at the beach you might as well invest in a good beach machine like a Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Excal, Whites DF, Whites BHID, Tesoro Sand Shark, etc. You can probably save even more money going with a used one. Don't forget to get a good long handled scoop if you are hunting the wet sand and water. Before you pull the trigger do some research to see if a certain kind of detector works best for the beaches in that area i.e. multi frequency VLF or Pulse Induction.
 
Also, how many targets do you think I'm going to find on shore vs. what I'd be able to find in the water?

That really depends on how many people use the beach and how many before you will have hunted it.
 
My nickel's worth:

If you're looking for new drops then the blanket line is the best place to concentrate. I tend to go fast as I've discovered a lot of finds come in multiples. So when I find a target I usually cover the area carefully and then back on track

Of course you probably realize you need a good dry sand scoop. The mesh screen basket type work best for me (also great in the wet sand). Ebay has them from $35 to $60...you don't really need a stainless steel one unless you want to go 1st class.

If the blanket line is not producing too well you can also follow the on and off the beach footpaths. And sometimes the perimeters of beaches are ignored and can be quite productive.

I've discovered that the wet sand is great for older drops and here a PI machine is the best. You can also use the PI in the perimeter regions to pull out some deeper older stuff.

Of course, save your trash and fill in your holes. If you want to avoid crowds get there close to supper time as people are leaving..or early the next morning. Don't worry too much about the Beach Rake...those machines (in my experience) don't pick up coins or rings. They might pick-up bracelets and necklaces but also tend to deposit those back onto the surface.

Main thing is to just enjoy yourself.

HH Joe
 
spent the winter near rockport this year and i mded that beach several times. found quite a few items there.heres some useful info remember that this beach is an inland beach no wave action there and the beach itself is more a gravel type sand and items stay shallow. the beach when i was there was very clean of trash and especially pop tabs. the towel line seems to produce more items than any where else like pocket spills. hope this helps and hh suprdave
 
Beach hunting is completely helter skelter. I say that in terms of the fact that you can find almost anything, anywhere.

It is certainly true you will find a lot of good recent drops where the beach towels get laid out. Those are also among the hardest hit by detectorists.

Entrances to the beach are also good, as people stop to put on/off shoes and drop a lot of stuff in the process.

My "technique" in using a detector like the 250 at the beach is a simple one. I start at the far side of the beach and walk towards the water, dragging my sand scoop behind me to mark my trail. When I get too far into the wet sand and my detector starts to act up, I turn around and started a new path away from the water and back toward the far side of the beach.

I just keep that pattern going and that way I don't miss anything.

Everybody's different. Hope it helps. :icon_thumleft:
 
+1 on the advice to get a proven beach detector if you're going to spending a lot of time at the beach.

I'll add that because the lure of the sand is great many locations nearby get overlooked. Tot lots, parks, and soccer fields near the beach may be good hunting grounds as well. Everybody with a detector is headed for the beach, and the truth is, once they've hunted the sand for a few hours they no longer have the time or energy to hunt these other locations. So, they leave it for the next time. Yet, the next time it's the same routine. Sounds crazy, might work!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom