What's new

Question About Cataloging Finds

Hockey_Detectorist

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2016
Messages
83
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All,

I have what i feel is a question that a few of you grizzled vets in the field of detecting could answer! What is the way that you might database/catalog your finds? Meaning, do you place everything into an excel spreadsheet or maybe put it into a downloadable program. About a year ago I used to put just some basic info down into a spreadsheet like to keep some sort of degree as to how much I found.
Such as:
  • Date
  • Find count
  • Specific coin on that hunt i.e. 2 quarters, 3 pennies, and so on...
I guess what I would really like is to get a more in-depth way of keeping track of my finds. Classifying them into dates of the coins, whether they are silver or clad, and/or any jewelry. I might even add some random stuff like sunshades and location of where the hunt was. Honestly any advice for you all would be greatly appreciated.

It has been far too long since I have posted on the forum and so glad to rekindle my love for reading and posting about detecting.

HH

Hockey_Detectorist
 
I use my OpenOffice Writer to keep running totals from year to year.

2018


D. -
H. - 1 (Ben ‘63)

Q. - 47

D. - 89 ('43 merc.)

N. - 31 (Buffalo – 1 - ‘37) (‘43P)

P. - 355.5

(Wheats – 17.5): ‘18, '19, ‘27, '29, ‘34, ‘35, '41, ‘44, '46, ‘47, '52s, '53, '55d x 3, '57d,

(Copper – 93)

(zinc – 242) (garbage – 15)

Canada – 3 ('90, '94, '98 garbage)



Junk Rings - 1
Junk Ear Rings – 5

Junk Bracelets - 1

Junk Pendants – 2
Keys - 3


Silver, Gold & Old

1) 1943P – 5 Cent (Woodstock, Menendez)

2) 1937 Buffalo Nickle (Woodstock, Menendez)


3) 14K Gold Ring (Gloucester, RI)

4) 1963 BF Half (Ashford)
5) 1943 Mercury Dime (Thompson)

6) .925 Ring (P Park Pond)
 
My system for keeping track of my coin finds is a little complicated, but maybe you can figure it out by checking out this photo! LOL!


DSC09164.webp
 
The sky is the limit if you are using an Excel Spreadsheet and have enough storage on your' computer. You can and should note the Dates, note every find (even unknown items* and junk), where found including GPS coordinates and even if the ground is dry, wet or frozen. My friend, Ralph Delph who has long since passed was a World Class Fisherman and Fishing Guide who logged every catch, where caught including GPS and Sextant coordinates (he was previously an old school Coastal Freighter Captain), what equipment was used, what bait was used, how deep, the weather, condition of the seas, the winds, etc. and this is why he was highly sought after by people that wanted to make World Record catches.

* You can always come back a change Unknown Items to Known Items when they are identified.
 
Last edited:
My system for keeping track of my coin finds is a little complicated, but maybe you can figure it out by checking out this photo! LOL!


View attachment 1615217

Haha FreeBirdTim I believe that I might be more lost looking at that picture than before. Hahaha :)
 
The sky is the limit if you are using an Excel Spreadsheet and have enough storage on your' computer. You can and should note the Dates, note every find (even unknown items* and junk), where found including GPS coordinates and even if the ground is dry, wet or frozen. My friend, Ralph Delph who has long since passed was a World Class Fisherman and Fishing Guide who logged every catch, where caught including GPS and Sextant coordinates (he was previously an old school Coastal Freighter Captain), what equipment was used, what bait was used, how deep, the weather, condition of the seas, the winds, etc. and this is why he was highly sought after by people that wanted to make World Record catches.

* You can always come back a change Unknown Items to Known Items when they are identified.

That is a good Idea! I will probably end up using Excel, but I just wanted to hear from the community as to their methods and what has worked (or hasn't worked) for them.

HH

Hockey_Detectorist
 
many people in the past have posted downloadable find charts very detailed
 
I keep a database file going of all my hunts including parking lots and coin stars. I downloaded it about 5 years ago I think, don't have any idea who did it originally. But it keeps running totals, I start out with a blank one at the beginning of each year. All kinds of column categories, and descriptions. It has a picture feature but I've never even looked into that. I have also used a section to keep track of hours hunted each hunt.

You have to have a database engine software on your machine to use, some free ones on-line.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a copy.

But I love it and do enjoy entering finds at the end of each hunt!
 
Javadroid, Thanks for the link! :occasion14:

I may modify the spreadsheet to add some extra detailed (place, machine...etc.) cells if time permits and it almost never permits! :BangHead:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom