Question About Colonial Burials

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

Been a while since I last posted. I have lots of projects going on. I have a question about some colonial burials. I volunteer at a property that has history back to the 1700s. Over the years they have found some tombstones and placed them all in a small pasture together. Although they are placed there that is not the actual burial site(s). This property is very old and has seen constant activity since the early 1700s. The main house is no longer there but there is a house built near the original. Any idea how far from the main house they would potentially bury people during that time? One of the volunteers thinks it would be by an old orchard, but I think that would be too close to the original main house and digging would potentially mess with the roots from the fruit trees in the immediate area.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,
Benny

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering water was probably provided by a well, I'm sure the bodies were buried pretty far away from the house.

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering water was probably provided by a well, I'm sure the bodies were buried pretty far away from the house.
Thanks. That is what I was thinking. The property is basically surrounded by saltwater on 3 sides. I’m guessing they were buried inland a bit.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good place for a GPR survey, if you can find somebody willing to do it.

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good place for a GPR survey, if you can find somebody willing to do it.
Thanks. Been poking around online. Can’t really find much in my neck of the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread