question about detectors

B

boojagirl

do you have to have 2 seperate detectors for land and water or is there 1 that goes both places? I so want to get one that can go in water so I can check around in the river, there is an area that most years the deepest it gets in the middle if you walk across to the other side is 3-4 feet, that is where people bring their kids to swim, the older kids go a few yards farther down where it is deeper and swing out on a handle bar tied to a rope. Also when you look around a park do you just look around the equiptment or everywhere?

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Minelab GT if you're just searching rivers and not swimming with it.It is also good for the gold fields or city parks(land) I use mine to search around jetties near the shore on beaches.You just have to keep the box dry.mine is in a little back pack with an extension cable going to my shaft and coil..

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I have seperate detectors for land/water. I use the Minelab Excalibur for in and under the water and The EX2 & F-75 for the land. If you are talking about 3-4 feet or deeper you need a unit that can take a dunk without getting ruined and if you SCUBA, getting under where they drop off that swing should be great. :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us use more than one detector for land and water. You can mount a land detector around your neck when you wade and it will do double duty, land and water. You just have to buy one that is hip mountable so it has the longer wire. However someday you are going to fall down and ruin the land detector. It is much safer to get a waterproof one like a Fisher 1280, Whites Beach Hunter ID, or Tesoro Tiger Shark. CZ20's and Excals are great but run about $1,095.00 new. Excals are the best you can use in my book for the water.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Sandman said:
Most of us use more than one detector for land and water. You can mount a land detector around your neck when you wade and it will do double duty, land and water. You just have to buy one that is hip mountable so it has the longer wire. However someday you are going to fall down and ruin the land detector. It is much safer to get a waterproof one like a Fisher 1280, Whites Beach Hunter ID, or Tesoro Tiger Shark. CZ20's and Excals are great but run about $1,095.00 new. Excals are the best you can use in my book for the water.

Hi Sandman....thought about it for a while: getting an underwater detector.I was wondering ...have you had any incounters with sharks or steped on anything that jeted off?

It looks like you do alot of detecting in water.That has been my only fear... not jumping in the ocean with one, you know..... "fish food." if I can get over that fear....I would buy one right now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you shuffle your feet as you walk you can avoid stingrays and just about anything in the ocean, that in combination with the coil sweep should keep you from any problems with most sea life. Wet suit helps if there are a lot of jelly-fish.

Sharks, you can usually avoid by not being in the water during their prime feeding times sunrise and dusk (twilight), as well as avoiding detecting in the middle of schools of baitfish. If you see a lot of fish suddenly swimming by you very fast, jumping out of the water as they swim, that is a good sign for you to leave VERY QUICKLY.

I was born and raised in Florida, spent many hours in the ocean before I ever began detecting, as most water hunters have, salt water is something you don't need to be afraid of, just need to respect it. Your odds of being attacked by a dog or rattlesnake while land hunting are a lot higher then being attacked by a shark. Down here rip currents are something to be concerned about. I would also be much more concerned about "land sharks" then water sharks.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
If you shuffle your feet as you walk you can avoid stingrays and just about anything in the ocean, that in combination with the coil sweep should keep you from any problems with most sea life. Wet suit helps if there are a lot of jelly-fish.

Sharks, you can usually avoid by not being in the water during their prime feeding times sunrise and dusk (twilight), as well as avoiding detecting in the middle of schools of baitfish. If you see a lot of fish suddenly swimming by you very fast, jumping out of the water as they swim, that is a good sign for you to leave VERY QUICKLY.

I was born and raised in Florida, spent many hours in the ocean before I ever began detecting, as most water hunters have, salt water is something you don't need to be afraid of, just need to respect it. Your odds of being attacked by a dog or rattlesnake while land hunting are a lot higher then being attacked by a shark. Down here rip currents are something to be concerned about. I would also be much more concerned about "land sharks" then water sharks.

Thanks! You brought up some good points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread