question about headphones for MD

tad0matic

Greenie
Oct 14, 2010
I bought an old whites coinmaster classic I for cheap and found out the speaker is busted. I went to Walmart and bought a conversion plug so my little headphones that plug into the computer or any mp3 player would plug into the big hole on the detector. I can hear signals only on one side of the headphones, and they are always the same tone. are metal detector headphones made different from the rest, or does the old coinmaster classic only serve one tone? I would think it made different sounds since it has a discrimination button. I'm very new to this though so any info would be welcomed.

Upvote 0
You probably bought a stereo adapter plug. Most of the older detectors used mono. Also, discrimination doesn't have anything to do with tones. It adjusts where the metal detector will provide an audio response.

GibH said:
You probably bought a stereo adapter plug. Most of the older detectors used mono. Also, discrimination doesn't have anything to do with tones. It adjusts where the metal detector will provide an audio response.
thank you very much gibH, I'm sure that it was a stereo adapter. I'm not sure where I could buy a mono adapter, but don't see it making that much of a difference anyway, as long as I can hear it. the old coinmaster classic I probably just gives the one tone then, I was imagining some kind of gyger-counter type of feedback I guess. thanks for the help :icon_salut:

tad0matic said:
GibH said:
thank you very much gibH, I'm sure that it was a stereo adapter. I'm not sure where I could buy a mono adapter, but don't see it making that much of a difference anyway, as long as I can hear it. the old coinmaster classic I probably just gives the one tone then, I was imagining some kind of gyger-counter type of feedback I guess. thanks for the help :icon_salut:
To get different tones to help id the target you need to get into higher $$$ models. You might be able to just replace the speaker from one from Radio Shack but using headphones will use less battery power an allow you to hear the sounds better. A set of Black Widow or Grey Ghost headphones now have a switch for mono or stereo and uses the larget plug. Try to get by with only one plug.

Nevada Coyote here,
Me and my wife have calrad's on ours, and they have worked great, stereo, adjustable volume on each ear. They work great. She uses a Fisher Gold Bug and I use a White's V/sat. The headphones were only $25.00.

Try pulling the plug out part way---also with the adaptor. This might do the trick, it has worked on some-----------------

I bought a couple of light weight headsets from Radio shack that had both stereo and Mono ability. I think they ran about $16.00 each. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back