Question about musketballs?

D

damz68

I have always wondered how one knows if the musketball they have found was used in battle or just hunting? Not that it would take away from the historical value of the find. It just seems that when one finds a musketball they automatically assume it was used in battle when for many many years we used them to bring home dinner. Even today people still hunt with muskets, it may be a differant caliber.

I guess I just wonder how authentic our finds are. Is there any way to prove it was used in battle and not hunting?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
other that the location of where you are hunting, i would say there is no way of telling. if you are hunting in an area where no battles were ever fought, its probably safe to say that its not from a battle, and probably from a hunting trip or something.on the other hand,if you are on an old battle field, its more than likely.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I don't look for fired bullets, myself (even though I find them). I like finding the most pristine dropped bullets I can find.

DM

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
When you get down to it, battle is just another form of hunting. Most modern balls seem to be 40, 45, 50, 54 cal.. Old balls are small (sub 40 cal) to save on expensive lead and powder, or huge military balls (62, 69, 72, 75 cal.). Which goes to prove that the govt. has always been wasteful with our money. After all, how many rounds was it estimated shot per kill in most 'modern' wars? 100,000 + I remember seeing.

Make love, not war, you'll like the way it feels more!

Tourezrick

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=14pt[font=papyrus]The older ones seem to be more white in color and have a thin crust on them.[/font]][/size]

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd say too that finding other things like parts of powder flasks, buttons, percussion caps, mini balls as well as musketballs all help to determine whether there's been a skirmish at a particular site.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I have a few .490 and .72 cal balls from my living history days, shooting a percussion Hawken replica and a flint NW Trade gun. They are about 23 years old, and all have lead oxide coating in them. The .72's were selfcast, the .490's were storebought and they all oxidize equally. Great fun making the gear, dressing the part, rondyvoo, throwing the hawk and knife, blackpowder hunts in buckskins. Glad I have MD'ing to fill the gap. Was an Illinois FreeTrapper, name was "Boudins".

Tourezrick

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Well, it isn't always a "battle". Firing practice, boredom, molding bullets...there are a lot of reasons to find them besides a battle site. As far as telling whats military and whats civilian, the military ones are generally pretty darn big. The squirrel rifles were tiny balls, the military used huge caliber, .54, .58, .69...big hunks of lead. If you find round balls, you'll usually come across minies as well, which is a sure sign. If you find one, do a little research and you may be suprised what you find in the history of the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions