question about older Tesoro

S

sendin

Just starting out in MDing and I live about 20 miles from the coast. Got my first nicer MD, a White's XLT about 3 weeks ago. No problems using it. It is a keeper so far, but perhaps not such a good machine for the wet sand and surf zone.

I am already a tank diver and found a Tesoro PIranha for sale locally for $250. Brand new, out of the box and just powered up this week. I guess the guy had it stored and figured out he was never going to use it. I guess they retailed for about $500 or $600 when they were current.

I searched E-Bay to see if any are for sale now and couldn't find any.

Any advice or suggestions? Is this a good buy?

Upvote 0

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
One thing I can tell you about that detector is that it is a pulse Induction detector with no discrimination. Thaat means you will be digging bobby pins as well as coins. I didn't get a PI because of this problem. I can't tell if that is a good price or not.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Piranha is a PI detector and the price you paid for a new in box was good. The newer ones only are a little lighter weight. PI's are deep and will handle the wet sand well at the beach. As was said, it has no discrimination to speak of and if you don't mind digging deep holes, it will find the deep gold rings, and trash. However if the detector doesn't let you know something is there, you won't take a chance to dig it. You should do good at the beach.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
S

sendin

Thanks for the replies.

Haven't bought it (yet). Just snooping for a good used beach detector and this one caught my eye.

I heard that one can learn the signal(s) on this machine and dig less trash. Do you think that's true? Is the signal the same regardless of material?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread