What's new

Question about silver welding rod

Cruisin

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Messages
255
Reaction score
41
Golden Thread
0
I found a couple of pounds of "Welco 201 silver alloy" welding rods in the garage of the house I just bought. I know that welding rods are not old but they might be treasure - kind of........ I know zilch about welding supplies. It says 45% silver on the label. Does this mean that it's silver silver? Or is it nickel silver that doesn't have any silver silver in it. Did I find the mother lode in my garage? Or, did I just find more junk, of which there are literally tons. (you might remember me asking about the 2 pickup truck loads of old tin cans in the attic ;D ) Anyway, a friend of mine who welds picked up the box of rods, handed them to me, & said 'Here, these are worth something" but he didn't elaborate.
 
45% silver solder does indeed have real silver in it. I use 45, 15 and 5 percent sticks for A/C work. I dont remember what its worth.
 
Upvote 0
Weigh the rods, convert that to troy oz., take 45% of that weight, and multiply it times say $12 per oz. I think that would be right.
 
Upvote 0
Wow! Thanks guys. It looks like I finally found a little bit of treasure in the garage after sorting thru tons of junk. Also, this project has kept me so busy that I have not had time to go pan for gold. This makes up for it. Wooohoo!!!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom