Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

This is a simple post..I recently went thru a box of halves last week...and no Silvers...But i did notice something odd..

I found about 10 Proof Looking halves..all where 2003 i believe..but they all had a beautiful finish on them..so thats why i was thinking they were proofs..But fo rsome reason..Everyone that i found, Someone has scratched an X on the face of them...Is this normal?..they would have been perfect..except for the scratch...and i could tell it was intentional

Just curious if anyone knows about these...I mean i find some that i can tell where dug up and some that looked liked they got extremly hot..but i just dont get why these have X's on the face of the coin

any info would be helpful

thanks

Upvote 0
Maybe somebody had to cash them in and decided "if I can't have them, no one can!!" :dontknow:

BTW, if they are proofs they will have an S mint mark.

Syrys said:
Maybe somebody had to cash them in and decided "if I can't have them, no one can!!" :dontknow:

BTW, if they are proofs they will have an S mint mark.

i kinda thought that..i cant remember if they had a S mint mark....i just remember that they didnt have any nicks or circulated scratches...just the big damn X ???

Diggin-N-Dumps said:
..But fo rsome reason..Everyone that i found, Someone has scratched an X on the face of them...Is this normal?..they would have been perfect..except for the scratch...and i could tell it was intentional

Normal for the inconsiderate, mature-challenged. Not the thoughtful, sane coin collector.

Regardless of whether they are proofs or not; the 2003 half dollar is an NIFC, and many on this forum save all they find; or they may still need one to fill a spot in their album.

For anyone to intentionally and maliciously ruin a coin someone would have wanted is just that; inconsiderate and immature.

That is why whether scratched (in this case) or written on with a marker; there is just no logic that can defend such actions.

If you don't want a certain coin, just dump it along with the others; for that might be just the coin that someone "downstream" is looking for.

thurmownator said:
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
..But fo rsome reason..Everyone that i found, Someone has scratched an X on the face of them...Is this normal?..they would have been perfect..except for the scratch...and i could tell it was intentional

Normal for the inconsiderate, mature-challenged. Not the thoughtful, sane coin collector.

Regardless of whether they are proofs or not; the 2003 half dollar is an NIFC, and many on this forum save all they find; or they may still need one to fill a spot in their album.

For anyone to intentionally and maliciously ruin a coin someone would have wanted is just that; inconsiderate and immature.

That is why whether scratched (in this case) or written on with a marker; there is just no logic that can defend such actions.

If you don't want a certain coin, just dump it along with the others; for that might be just the coin that someone "downstream" is looking for.

i totally agreee...i was pretty bummed out because of the condition..i just knew it wasnt a coinidence..because they were spread out in alot of the rolls...thanks for the replies..i didn tknow if for some reason this was normal for cerain coins

Some people do it to make sure the coin is ruined. Others like drilling holes or punching numbers or letters on the coin. Then there are the ones that are painted gold or chrome. and so on and so on :laughing7:

Thurmownator says it best. It is highly immature to deface coins. Etching is unacceptable to me. One time I did use a marker to mark one box of my coins because I got so irritated at someone who marked over 50% of a box with the a green "P." Still get this coin every now and then. Can you imagine 250+ coins marked in such a manner? Needlesss to say, I was miffed. I have seen posts where an entire box was marked.

Now I wish I would not have marked about 50 of my coins, but I did (with a black felt tip maker with "apush"). One of our posters has found my coin. I do regret it; won't do it again. Lesson learned. I would rather have an unmarked skunk than a marked skunk. Just my simple opinion. We each have our own. :icon_sunny:

apush :read2:

Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Hello all,

This is a simple post..I recently went thru a box of halves last week...and no Silvers...But i did notice something odd..

I found about 10 Proof Looking halves..all where 2003 i believe..but they all had a beautiful finish on them..so thats why i was thinking they were proofs..But fo rsome reason..Everyone that i found, Someone has scratched an X on the face of them...Is this normal?..they would have been perfect..except for the scratch...and i could tell it was intentional

Just curious if anyone knows about these...I mean i find some that i can tell where dug up and some that looked liked they got extremly hot..but i just dont get why these have X's on the face of the coin

any info would be helpful

thanks

There's some jackwad around here that does the same thing, only to the NIFC coins, none of the rest. A nice big 'X' across the face of them. Jerk.

I hate it when a CRHer decides to mark the pretty coins, that some kid 20 years from now might want to collect. Came accross a area like that where all the nice coins had a big X on them. It's like geez people get a sharpie out and mark up the ugly one. Come on man!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back