Question about the Lost Gold of Remy Ledoux

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm new.
This legend caught my eye because of one reason. There's actually a map for it. The problem is, I can't seem to find out what happened to it. The last person recorded to possess it was a guy named Ava Poor, sometime in or after the year of 1870. He didn't find the treasure, and the Indian guide he took with him later recorded that rockslides and avalanches probably covered up the treasure, but besides that point... Does anybody know how I could go about finding that map or if it even still exists?

mole1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2013
Good day, i can help u. Let me research the net. Call or txt me at 719-459-4690. Maybe we can work it out. Thx.

Elrothen

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Leadville, CO
Detector(s) used
Eyes&ears
Ava Poor sounds familiar? I believe there is version of this story in a book I think is titled: Lost gold and treasures of Colorado? It's by Caroline Bancroft, and although it seems to have a flair for the dramatic, and a few tall tales, the book may have some helpful info. It was the very first "treasure" book I ever read, and gave me the fever:-) I believe it's from the 1950's or 1960's. Also, my memory is foggy, but I recall the name Asa Poor, not Ava? I'm prolly wrong. Anyway, I've lost my copy and I think it's only available for order online. I live in Leadville, and will have spare time to hunt this summer. Let us know how it goes.

endentured

Greenie
Jan 2, 2018
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm new.
This legend caught my eye because of one reason. There's actually a map for it. The problem is, I can't seem to find out what happened to it. The last person recorded to possess it was a guy named Ava Poor, sometime in or after the year of 1870. He didn't find the treasure, and the Indian guide he took with him later recorded that rockslides and avalanches probably covered up the treasure, but besides that point... Does anybody know how I could go about finding that map or if it even still exists?
The name was Asa Poor. Poor partnered up with Leon Montoy. They took some laborers and found one of the buried over mine shafts but never found the three caches of gold ingots. Montoy was quoted as saying, "years of avalanches and rockslides caused tons of rubble to be deposited atop the likely locations of the gold caches." The treasure remains buried near the base of Treasure Mountain.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Tons of info out there, several books, believe I got a copy of most mentioned in these treads. Either way looking you will see some interesting places.

gold thread

Greenie
Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the books that are out there, do you have any books that you would recommend? I'm interested in learning more about Remy Ledoux himself - and his adventures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread