Question about whites coinmaster 4900/d md

racefanrob

Feb 7, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Question about white's coinmaster 4900/d md

Has anyone ever used the 49er before? I just got one and wondering how it compares to my mxt. I just started out with the mxt and got this older model given to me so I haven't tried it yet, but it doesn't have a display like my mxt. If anyone can enlighten me i would appreciate it.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Question about white's coinmaster 4900/d md

I had, still have actually, the 3000 S3. I don't use it but it was my first detector back in the early 80's.
If you want to learn patience and how to identify by sound alone, then go for it.
It was trying for me but again, it was my first detector. With technological advances, I'd never go back to it.
Ground balancing was a bear, constantly retuning, ground mineralization drove the machine crazy. And I think the old disc. of that machine was off. Try disc'in out nails and such and it still cracked and popped....

Now the 6000 DiPro...that's the greatest for a manual gb machine...I'd put it up against your MXT any day. But it does have a meter. Like the manual says for your 49'er....like the 6000's but hundreds of dollars cheaper. Yea...no meter and probably cheaper disc circuitry, like my old 3000.

Al

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow thats an old machine manual everything gotta have a meter though, its a good relic machine. ive owned a 5500di pro and a 5900 found my first silver and a small gold pendent abuot 9 in. deep with the 5500.back in '89. Don

OP
OP
racefanrob

racefanrob

Feb 7, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

deepskyal said:
I had, still have actually, the 3000 S3. I don't use it but it was my first detector back in the early 80's.
If you want to learn patience and how to identify by sound alone, then go for it.
It was trying for me but again, it was my first detector. With technological advances, I'd never go back to it.
Ground balancing was a bear, constantly retuning, ground mineralization drove the machine crazy. And I think the old disc. of that machine was off. Try disc'in out nails and such and it still cracked and popped....

Now the 6000 DiPro...that's the greatest for a manual gb machine...I'd put it up against your MXT any day. But it does have a meter. Like the manual says for your 49'er....like the 6000's but hundreds of dollars cheaper. Yea...no meter and probably cheaper disc circuitry, like my old 3000.

Al

Hey Al,
Thanks for the response. I let my daughter try it with me and it found a couple pennies. It sure doesn't see what the mxt saw... It has a lot of dials to adjust things, but haven't used it too many times. I can imagine the technology is way better now so i will keep using the mxt. It was my first MD so if i happen to hit something big and get some extra cash from it i will look into a better machine. The mxt sure can find alot of bullets and casings...
Rob

OP
OP
racefanrob

racefanrob

Feb 7, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

donj said:
wow thats an old machine manual everything gotta have a meter though, its a good relic machine. ive owned a 5500di pro and a 5900 found my first silver and a small gold pendent abuot 9 in. deep with the 5500.back in '89. Don

Hi Don,
Yup it is old...The circuit board says 1983. It was not powering on when i put the battery box in so i took it apart to see it. For some reason it doesn't power on right, but if i open the end and push the battery box in a few times and close it up it starts working. I got it for free and if someone wants to go with me then they won't be too bored if they are swinging too. Especially my kids!!! I get going for 15 minutes and they are ready to go. I am still hoping to hit silver or gold one of these days! You are lucky to have gotten gold!
Take care,
Rob

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 4900 should have a small triangle with a p inside at each control knob, indicating preset positions to get you started. I think with a little practice, you will find good depth and discrimnation from the 4900. You will also find with practice that you can tell by the tone and size of the tone what your target is likely to be. It is really is a workhorse when you get familar with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions