What's new

Question.(Answered thank you)

JJTheisen

Full Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
178
Reaction score
23
Golden Thread
0
Location
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Alright guys, I was looking through a coin machine bag of dimes yesterday and popped out 3 keepers, one of which was a 1964. I was curiously looking on PCGS to look at dime values and one particluar dime, a 1964 SMS, seems to be worth quite a significant amount of money. What I cannot figure out is what a 1964 SMS dime is? I read through the description, but there is no picture on the site. Can anyone help explain the SMS to me or this type of dime? Thank you ahead of time guys, you are always so helpful.

JJ :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
SMS usually means Special Mint Sets; which were offered from '65 - '67 inclusive; instead of Proof Sets. They were "not quite up to the standards" of usual proof sets.

Based on that, anything from '64 can't be SMS.

Any other thoughts guys ?
 
thurmownator said:
SMS usually means Special Mint Sets; which were offered from '65 - '67 inclusive; instead of Proof Sets. They were "not quite up to the standards" of usual proof sets.

Based on that, anything from '64 can't be SMS.

Any other thoughts guys ?
I read an article that states this as well, but there were 1964 SMS made. They are pretty rare finds, and there is an article about them with a picture that I googled. On PCGS it was listed as a 1964 SMS which aslo verifies this. It was a special mint set of all the coin currency. It was after 64 that the only silver coins made were the 40% halves. Thanks for the help!

JJ :coffee2:
 
JJTheisen said:
thurmownator said:
SMS usually means Special Mint Sets; which were offered from '65 - '67 inclusive; instead of Proof Sets. They were "not quite up to the standards" of usual proof sets.

Based on that, anything from '64 can't be SMS.

Any other thoughts guys ?
I read an article that states this as well, but there were 1964 SMS made. They are pretty rare finds, and there is an article about them with a picture that I googled. On PCGS it was listed as a 1964 SMS which aslo verifies this. It was a special mint set of all the coin currency. It was after 64 that the only silver coins made were the 40% halves. Thanks for the help!

JJ :coffee2:
Actually, there were a few silver 1965 dimes manufactured by the mint, really rare, google it.
 
Fistfulladirt said:
JJTheisen said:
thurmownator said:
SMS usually means Special Mint Sets; which were offered from '65 - '67 inclusive; instead of Proof Sets. They were "not quite up to the standards" of usual proof sets.

Based on that, anything from '64 can't be SMS.

Any other thoughts guys ?
I read an article that states this as well, but there were 1964 SMS made. They are pretty rare finds, and there is an article about them with a picture that I googled. On PCGS it was listed as a 1964 SMS which aslo verifies this. It was a special mint set of all the coin currency. It was after 64 that the only silver coins made were the 40% halves. Thanks for the help!

JJ :coffee2:
Actually, there were a few silver 1965 dimes manufactured by the mint, really rare, google it.

Sounds pretty cool! I def keep my eyes peeled for stuff like that! Im just now getting into coin collecting, and picking up my 2010 red book tonight. I mostly CRH halves and then some pennies and dimes every once in a while. I work at the bank, so when the coin machine bags fill up, I buy the ones I want and look through them. Its weird I found this hobby while working at a bank. Thanks for the info on the 65s, I will keep a very close eye out for them.

JJ :coffee2:
 
Fistfulladirt said:
JJTheisen said:
thurmownator said:
SMS usually means Special Mint Sets; which were offered from '65 - '67 inclusive; instead of Proof Sets. They were "not quite up to the standards" of usual proof sets.

Based on that, anything from '64 can't be SMS.

Any other thoughts guys ?
I read an article that states this as well, but there were 1964 SMS made. They are pretty rare finds, and there is an article about them with a picture that I googled. On PCGS it was listed as a 1964 SMS which aslo verifies this. It was a special mint set of all the coin currency. It was after 64 that the only silver coins made were the 40% halves. Thanks for the help!

JJ :coffee2:
Actually, there were a few silver 1965 dimes manufactured by the mint, really rare, google it.
True, but I think he meant "intentionally" silver.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom