Question for Canadian Coin Hunters

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Friends from the Great White North!

I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to go to Canada for a day trip and attempt to purchase some circulated boxes of pennies and nickels. My question to you is how difficult is it to acquire full boxes of circulated pennies and nickels from banks up there? Do they ask for accounts or are they happy to get rid of rolled change like many banks here in the US? Thanks for any advice you can provide!

HH,

$ilver$urfer:hello:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't I get some love from our Canadian friends? I've been a member for over 2 years and have contributed well over 1100 posts to this forum but stopped posting regularly this past spring when my wife and I had our first child (not much time anymore). Thanks in advance!

HH,

$ilver$urfer
hello.gif

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not from Canada but if I were thinking of doing this I would be after dimes and quarters.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not from Canada but if I were thinking of doing this I would be after dimes and quarters.

Canada; dimes and quarters=culled by the government
cents=melted down (try to ask for uncirculated rolls in Canada, a 2012 cent can sell for even $1.50 on eBay).

Last edited:

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
Canada; dimes and quarters=culled by the government
cents=melted down (try to ask for uncirculated rolls in Canada, a 2012 cent can sell for even $1.50 on eBay.

Did not know that, thanks for educating me:)

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chase bank in the USA now takes canadian coins. about half of them will sell you all they have. I have gotten about 10 silvers, and lots of 5 c nickle bullion, and neat old cents.

again, that's CHASE BANK selling canadian.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up with Chase, I'll be sure to ask them for any and all Canadian coin. Any Canadian coin hunters on here want to offer any advice regarding my original questions?

Thanks so much and HH!

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't say it is very difficult to get coins from banks. Most are happy to help weather or not you have an account so I should imagine things work similarly to the USA. But, like the USA, you have a chance of encountering a difficult teller who will try to turn you away or pull the "fee" card on you. Just some advice is that RBC generally has poor customer service if you don't have an account, I would say 4 out of 5 average RBCs will try to turn away non account holders.
But all this brings up a whole new problem. Yesterday was the first snowfall (in my part of the country) which means it is winter time in Canada once again, and when it snow in Canada, it snows! Forget driving a car, your best bet would be to rent a dog sled for the day when you get here.
Also what part of the country are you planning on visiting?
Good luck if you choose to brave the elements for some coins.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Can't I get some love from our Canadian friends? I've been a member for over 2 years and have contributed well over 1100 posts to this forum but stopped posting regularly this past spring when my wife and I had our first child (not much time anymore)

Not as much love around here as there used to be...

:dontknow:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
they are melting canadian money. ::gasps and puts a hand over her chest:: OMG!! Noooo. My beautiful canooks. But thanks for the heads up about the chase banks. There is a branch right across the road from my work and its in the same building as my LCS. and I am taking my mom into town to do some shopping. I plan on making a stop at my credit union, to dump some dimes, deposit into my account, head over to the new LCS that has the ASEs for 35 bucks. hopefully with silver going down maybe i will get a really good deal on them. ::crosses her fingers with a grin::

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are melting canadian money. ::gasps and puts a hand over her chest:: OMG!! Noooo. My beautiful canooks. But thanks for the heads up about the chase banks. There is a branch right across the road from my work and its in the same building as my LCS. and I am taking my mom into town to do some shopping. I plan on making a stop at my credit union, to dump some dimes, deposit into my account, head over to the new LCS that has the ASEs for 35 bucks. hopefully with silver going down maybe i will get a really good deal on them. ::crosses her fingers with a grin::

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

I am willing to bet that is an LCS is in the same building as a bank, then the bank will have nothing for a CRHer. It would be easy for an LCS to walk next door every morning to clear out the teller trays if they wanted.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say it is very difficult to get coins from banks. Most are happy to help weather or not you have an account so I should imagine things work similarly to the USA. But, like the USA, you have a chance of encountering a difficult teller who will try to turn you away or pull the "fee" card on you. Just some advice is that RBC generally has poor customer service if you don't have an account, I would say 4 out of 5 average RBCs will try to turn away non account holders.
But all this brings up a whole new problem. Yesterday was the first snowfall (in my part of the country) which means it is winter time in Canada once again, and when it snow in Canada, it snows! Forget driving a car, your best bet would be to rent a dog sled for the day when you get here.
Also what part of the country are you planning on visiting?
Good luck if you choose to brave the elements for some coins.

I would be entering from NY going through the Buffalo area, any banks you'd recommend stopping at besides RBC?

Thanks and HH!

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be entering from NY going through the Buffalo area, any banks you'd recommend stopping at besides RBC?

Thanks and HH!

I would say BMO (Bank of Montreal), TD Canada Trust and Scotia Bank are the top three banks you want to go to. It also wouldn't hurt to try a CIBC and maybe a Credit Union or two.

Good luck and don't forget your winter parka!

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
IMO, if I had the opportunity to jump over to Canada for coins, I would buy as many nickels as possible. I'm obsessed with the pre-82 99.9% pure Ni coins. I hate paying so much over spot for them on ebay. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread